Damaging Outcomes from Conflict

Archivist

I wasn't clear from the new SRD how exactly "damage" (states of adversity) worked.

1. Is there any way to generate a temporary Flaw from a poor conflict outcome? It seems like this would be a fun optional rule. 
  2. What do the penalties apply to. Just the abilities used in the conflict? All abilities? Just where it makes sense?
  3. How do you keep track of the states of adversity from multiple sources. If I get a sprain (narrative description of damage from conflict 2) then move one more track down (narrative description of damage from conflict 2) because I've seen something sanity blasting, do I need to write that down somewhere since they might affect different abilities or recover at different rates? or is recovery just an overall thing (regardless of source if you're at level X here's how long it takes to get back to normal)

Edited by Archivist

3 hours ago, Archivist said:

Is there any way to generate a temporary Flaw from a poor conflict outcome? It seems like this would be a fun optional rule. 

There is nothing in RAW to do that. Mechanically, we just have consequences of defeat, which are measured as states of adversity. But if you wanted to use flaws to tag 'injuries' it's a valid rules change for you to make for your game. We probably would not recommend you using a state of adversity as well.

What do the penalties apply to. Just the abilities used in the conflict? All abilities? Just where it makes sense

GM's choice. Most of the time it makes sense to be either (1) An ability used in the conflict (2) Future attempts to obtain the prize. But the GM is at liberty to choose what makes sense in genre.

How do you keep track of the states of adversity from multiple sources. If I get a sprain (narrative description of damage from conflict 2) then move one more track down (narrative description of damage from conflict 2) because I've seen something sanity blasting, do I need to write that down somewhere since they might affect different abilities or recover at different rates? or is recovery just an overall thing (regardless of source if you're at level X here's how long it takes to get back to normal)

Yes, you need to track them. Some character sheets have had a section to track these.

I tend to review at the beginning of each session, as they may stimulate further adventure in this session, or have faded.

I don't always impose or grant them. Only when I think the contest is likely to have consequences in the story. Sometimes the contest didn't really have story impact, so I don't want it to have numerical impact either

7 hours ago, Archivist said:
  1. Is there any way to generate a temporary Flaw from a poor conflict outcome? It seems like this would be a fun optional rule. 

It could be possible, counting it as a form of Directed "improvement" (7.1.2) granting an additional flaw at 13.

Of course, sometimes the distinction between abilities and flaws is blurred. If a character gets horrifically mauled in the face by an attack, they might end up with "Scarred Visage 13" which could be a flaw in certain circumstances (trying to stay incognito in a crowd) while an advantageous ability in others (convincing someone you're a dangerous threat)