BASIC MAGIC - Classic Magic Systems for Basic Roleplaying

Trifletraxor

I don't own Nephilim so it's hard for me to comment on it...is it worth picking up a copy ?

It's interesting - I'm a sad BRP completists so I have picked up most of Nephilim but I've never really got to grips with it. John Snead's Liber Ka supplement is rather cool however.

The Unknown East was a good book I but always felt that the magic system wasn't particularly well developed, good ideas, but it was as though they got half way through and lost the plot or gave up. But yes If you're going for a BRP magic supplement it would make sense for them to be included if they were BRP compatible.

IIRC there's a very good article about implementing the UE magic system in an old Chaosium digest that would be well worth folding in to any adaptation to core BRP of the UE system.

As for stuff from monographs....I'm not sure. Firstly if this were a Chaosium distribution book it would be 'the rules' as it were. The base line from which monograph writers would operate, rather than the other way round if that makes sense. Certainly a little section on alternative magic monographs would be appropriate. is this what you were thinking of ?

Several of the monographs effectively build on the existing powers systems in the Big Gold Book, so i was more thinking they should be consulted as a reference when writing an official BRP Magic / Powers supplement, rather than that content should be included verbatim from them. I like the way there is a growing ecology of BRP writers who are keeping their work "in synch" where practical with each other, certainly as far as the monographs are concerned and I'd like to see that continue.

Cheers,

Nick

It's interesting - I'm a sad BRP completists so I have picked up most of Nephilim but I've never really got to grips with it. John Snead's Liber Ka supplement is rather cool however.

Well, they seem to have pretty much everything over at Chaosium, and I have just been paid....no,no I will resist, I will wait until they have a sale.

IIRC there's a very good article about implementing the UE magic system in an old Chaosium digest that would be well worth folding in to any adaptation to core BRP of the UE system.

I suppose it's too much to hope for that you have a link or copy to hand ?

Several of the monographs effectively build on the existing powers systems in the Big Gold Book, so i was more thinking they should be consulted as a reference when writing an official BRP Magic / Powers supplement,

I know what you're saying here and I think for reference purposes that would be fine. However I'd be loath to incorporate any material. As a 'core book' I'd think such a product would need to be self contained and not reliant on the availability or not of limited edition monographs. Any such magic book would be as I said part of the base line of how BRP worked ( thus my comments about thorough editing ) it would if you like be the control group or neutral setting that people would then take away and use or tinker with to their hearts content. The thing with referencing each others work is that it creates a situation where it's someones varient of the rules that is referenced rather than the rules themselves. A situation that I think could lead to severe confusion

I like the way there is a growing ecology of BRP writers who are keeping their work "in synch" where practical with each other, certainly as far as the monographs are concerned and I'd like to see that continue.

I rather like this as well, if you'll forgive a slight drift into nostalgia it reminds me of my early days in RPGing when people chucked ideas around like confetti and everthing was shiny and new ;D

Edited by Agentorange

I am sorry that I purchased it now, but am being suitably warned off the remaining products in the BRP line.

I'd second what soltakss said. it's only those three monographs that need to be treated with some caution. the big Golden Book ( main rules ) is definately worth the money. In addition many of the monographs are stuffed full of good content even if the production is semi- pro. If swords'n'sorcery /fantasy RPGing is your thing then The Green is worth shelling out for. Well in my opinion it is, I was very impressed by it.