the cover and the name

"Basic Roleplaying" is a better known name though, and I think that counts a lot. Most people who have ever run one of Chaosiums systems know that the core system is Basic Roleplaying. Not very imaginative, I agree to that, but probably better to hook old fish with. :cool:

Sverre.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

I think most people who know the name BRP will also know the name Chaosium. The game has potential to become popular but I don't think the old name will appeal to newcomers. The old fish will be hooked, whatever it is called. the words "basic roleplaying" kind of make me yawn when I say them. (best game ever though)

Part of the title is 'D100 Roleplaying System', remember. Whether that is good or bad, who knows? Somebody who loves Rolemaster or HARP might turn it down because the rolls work reverse from what they are used to, but a new player who opens the book will see a very open, even transparent system. So the cover will be much more important than the title in any event, I think. It would be worth it for Chaosium to pay a big fee to Frazetta or Brom or somebody like that for a really good cover, just to ensure that it attracts attention to start with.

Part of the title is 'D100 Roleplaying System', remember. Whether that is good or bad, who knows? Somebody who loves Rolemaster or HARP might turn it down because the rolls work reverse from what they are used to, but a new player who opens the book will see a very open, even transparent system. So the cover will be much more important than the title in any event, I think. It would be worth it for Chaosium to pay a big fee to Frazetta or Brom or somebody like that for a really good cover, just to ensure that it attracts attention to start with.

I agree completely. Even if they dont pay Frazetta. (is he still alive?) There a many very talented artists out there which dont cost that much or which have older artwork somewhere. They only have to look on the net to find one or two of them. (eg this guy: http://www.rochr.com)

Regarding Basic Roleplaying I think the name is absolutely great. Its perfectly perfect for the rule system its portraying. In this name everything what the system is, is included. Its simple, intuitive, everything you will ever need (except my beloved Gurps sourcebooks which I never want to miss) for a good roleplaying session.

(of course inofficially I will call DBRP always Deburp) :D

I think most people who know the name BRP will also know the name Chaosium. The game has potential to become popular but I don't think the old name will appeal to newcomers. The old fish will be hooked, whatever it is called. the words "basic roleplaying" kind of make me yawn when I say them. (best game ever though)

The game IS popular. No? Maybe I am one of those old fishs you mentioned but I think BRP in its many incarnations is legendary and very well known in the rpg microcosmos. Or am I wrong?

I love "basic roleplaying" because it is perfectly portraying the game. This old game is as simple and minimalistic as the name shows. Its basic, because one dont have to pay much attention to play the engine. (unlike in many other systems) Its the base, the invisible pillar, of a successful game. I always say to my players: A sucessful adventure has 3 pillars which it is based upon. The setting, the players and the system. (ok, ok maybe chips and beer too)

I agree that the cover quality is of utmost importance.

But just because the title is a good definition for the game does not make it a good title....the oxford english dictionary definition for "sex" does not make me want to do it.

Our personal affections for the title are probably based on long associations with the system itself. Newcomers dont have those associations so will probably choose something that sounds interesting instead.

How hard is it to release the rulebook with two different covers?

But, I'd think that anyone who knows what Chaosium is would also know what BRP is...

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

George Carlin (1937 - 2008)

(92/420)

I agree with GWD here, and have said something similar in the Yahoo list.

Basic RolePlaying doesn't grip me at all. Honestly it reminds me of Basic Dungeons and Dragons which is not a good association to have. Chaosium Role-Playing gives you that, "What is 'Chaosium'?" curiosity that might make you pick up the book to find out.

Use of "The Chaosium D100 Roleplaying System" is a good idea IMHO. It might reach out to the D20 System fans. I'm not sure if it makes up for the "Basic RolePlaying" name, but it helps. I am very glad they did not go with Deluxe Basic RolePlaying. That would be a real dud.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)

30/420