Pulp Cthulhu Telekinesis

Jedfordski

Hello all,

My friends and I have just started a one shot Pulp Cthulhu adventure to ease us into the system, first game for all of us.  I've created a Mystic with Telekinesis, but I'm struggling to understand how to use it as my primary attack.  I was thinking of carrying large steel ballbearings that I could fire off.  I've no idea what the damage would be though.  What others ways could I use it?

Cheers, Jed.

15 hours ago, Jedfordski said:

Hello all,

My friends and I have just started a one shot Pulp Cthulhu adventure to ease us into the system, first game for all of us.  I've created a Mystic with Telekinesis, but I'm struggling to understand how to use it as my primary attack.  I was thinking of carrying large steel ballbearings that I could fire off.  I've no idea what the damage would be though.  What others ways could I use it?

Cheers, Jed.

I don't have Pulp Cthulhu, how strong is the Telekinesis? Can you throw a person through a window? Maybe do something with knives?

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

Page 84-85 describes how to use the skill in combat (you'll also want Throw skill). 

Basically you'd be hurling things you carried for that purpose (like the ball bearings), or you would be to tossing things like candlesticks, etc., that happened to be on the scene. Small objects do 1d4, and medium objects do 1d6. 

Moving larger objects is described, but it's not too great, needing an extreme success and only slowly pushing the object a small ways.

I personally feel it should be slightly more powerful. I would allow things like moving a table to knock someone down, or pushing someone out a window with a bed (if they were standing at the window) with an expenditure of 2 or 3 magic points and treating it as a Fighting Maneuver, using Telekinesis and Fighting in the roll (just like the roll to throw things using Telekinesis and Throw.) I would only use the Extreme success rule when doing things like moving cars, etc.

I like the built in shield ability as well.

Edited by Grimmshade