Manirian Cultural Genealogy

Nevermet

Because I was stressed today, I took a break from reality and made this: a diagram of the cultural evolution of Maniria.  This is based almost exclusively on The Guide, using the maps in the Time chapter, as well as the chapters on Maniria, Holy Country, and Ralios.

Explanation of colours:

• Pink is early Dawn Age
  • White is Second Council
  • Gray is right after the Arkat / Nysalor wars
  • Orange is Imperial Age
  • Blue is immediately after Slontos sank
  • Gold is late 3rd age

Explanation of shapes:

• Square: the Entruli - Manirian complex of cultures
  • Ovals: Hsunchen cultures
  • Diamond: Esrolian, and eventually Holy Country
  • Parallelagram: Ralios
  • Trapezoid: Malkioni
  • Inverted Trapezoid: Caratan and Handra
  • Triangle: "Veskarthan" peoples who are culturally & religiously similar to Caladraland, but politically independent.

1828934969_CulturalGenealogy.thumb.jpg.b3cd1f4c60daa9047bb416d25b69fdba.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A few notes:

• The Dawn Age is lacking some detail.  I don't have the Theyalans, Herilia, Veakmal, etc.
    • I also don't have good data on the locations of surviving humans at the Dawn in Maniria, other than the Endaka caves, Pig Hollow, and the Solung Plateau.
    • Very quickly, however, it appears maniria could be labelled as "entruli", which IMG is a non-Vingkotling type of Orlanthi
  • Making this has made me appreciate the politcal/cultural complexities of Caladraland over the years, and how it is sometimes unified, sometimes split.
    • It also intrigues me that at the Dawn
    • Is there a detailed history of Caladraland anywhere?
  • I need to do digging in Stafford Library to flesh out the relationships with especially Esrolia

Not sure if you want to include or not, but you may since you've included the Caladralanders and it misses the ancient Ditaling folk.  See Guide p.709 and following:

Endaka: This large cave was the autumn gathering place for a small clan on the Gorphing River called the Ditalings. They were hunter-gatherers who worshiped Dital, a hunting spirit.

Solung Plateau: This cave temple was home of the Karkudja or Caladrian people. This was where the Karkudja people emerged from beneath the ground to tend to the skin of the volcano gods. They were slash and burn horticulturalists who worshiped Veskarthan, Caladra, and Kudja the Ancestor. They unfailingly follow the commands of the dwarves of Deziramko Cho Al Kalad, who lived inside the Vent. Tessele the True was the demigoddess leader of the tribe.

Plus p.715 shows the continuation of both Caladrian and Ditaling folk.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nevermet said:

Is there a detailed history of Caladraland anywhere?

Nothing besides what's in the Guide or old RQ Companion, or the material in the cult of Caladra and Aurelion (available currently in the Glorantha Classics Cult Compendium).

9 minutes ago, Nevermet said:

I also don't have good data on the locations of surviving humans at the Dawn in Maniria, other than the Endaka caves, Pig Hollow, and the Solung Plateau.

Must have been some site(s) in Slontos per Guide p.352. 

Erenplose would be one, though already sunken and hidden at the Dawn. (p.357)

Hard to say if Kaxtorplose and Fay Jee existed at the Dawn or not.

• Like 1

Just now, jajagappa said:

Hard to say if Kaxtorplose and Fay Jee existed at the Dawn or not.

I'm willing to believe anything regarding Fay Jee.

My reading of the Guide suggests Kaxtorplose was founded by Kaxtor & Fodolor circa 315, though this is not the only interpretation.

I won't say this diagram proves the following, but it doesn't disprove a few things that work IMG:

• The Harandings broke from the Entruli before the Dawn
    • Kotor may have been a "no man's land", but I don't believe it was completely unpopulated.  Rather its a neo-haranding culture, semi-
  • Veakmal of the Herlanings brought Malkionism to Maniria with his wife when he founded Ramalia

1 hour ago, jajagappa said:

Nothing besides what's in the Guide or old RQ Companion, or the material in the cult of Caladra and Aurelion (available currently in the Glorantha Classics Cult Compendium).

2 hours ago, Nevermet said:

Thanks for this