Who is the father of Baranthos, Chieftain of the Ernaldori?

RandomNumber

Hi there,

I'm starting up an RQ campaign (after 25+ years...) and doing some reading of recent publications.  Baranthos is stated as being the son of Estavos in the Broken Tower scenario and the Glorantha wiki (citing the Sartar Companion as source). However, the Gamemaster Adventures pack in the GM Screen shows him as being the son of Dunorl (p.21) and on p.18 states "Baranthos son of Dunorl the Old has been chief since 1602)."

Which I guess then brings up the question of whether his wife is Kendestra (Glorantha wiki) or Zara (Broken Tower).

Grateful if someone could shed some light on this for me?

Thanks,

6 minutes ago, RandomNumber said:

Grateful if someone could shed some light on this for me?

Basically it's a conflict between the two sources.  Estavos and Dunorl are brothers. 

This was the Sartar Companion (p.29) text:  The Brandgorssons
The four children of Brandgor Bronzebones have dominated Ernaldoring clan affairs and played a leading role in the Colymar tribe for the last two generations. All were thanes of the House of Sartar prior to the Lunar Conquest and are legendary for their loyalty to that House. The surviving Brandgorssons are now elderly but extremely influential. The prestige of this family is such that the Lunars and King Blackmoor treat them extremely gingerly lest they provoke a tribal revolt.
The firstborn was Estavos Brandgorsson who became king after their disaster of Grizzly Peak. He led the Colymar from 1582 until 1591 when he was killed defending his Prince against Lunar soldiers. His son Baranthos is currently chieftain of the Ernaldori clan.
The second son was Dangmet Brandgorsson a thane of his Prince until he was acclaimed king after his older brother. Dangmet led the tribe from 1591 until 1598, when he was killed by Lunar assassins.
The third son is Dunorl Brandgorsson, called the Ring-Guarder. As the brother of two tribal kings and counselor to kings and Princes, Dunorl is a man of immense prestige and respect. Dunorl rarely involves himself in Ernaldoring clan affairs, but when he does, his word is final.

The way I resolved was:

• Baranthos is the son of Estavos and chieftain to the Ernaldori.  His uncle Dunorl is a close advisor.
  • His 1st wife was Kendestra (and I just play that she dies sometime between 1619 in Sartar Companion and 1625 for Broken Tower)
  • His 2nd wife is Zara, who has taken to wielding some power in the clan (I've not placed her specifically from any given clan)
  • His son, Harmast, was born to Kendestra.  I've not had to determine yet what his relationship is to his step-mother.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

The way I resolved was:

• Baranthos is the son of Estavos and chieftain to the Ernaldori.  His uncle Dunorl is a close advisor.
  • His 1st wife was Kendestra (and I just play that she dies sometime between 1619 in Sartar Companion and 1625 for Broken Tower)
  • His 2nd wife is Zara, who has taken to wielding some power in the clan (I've not placed her specifically from any given clan)
  • His son, Harmast, was born to Kendestra.  I've not had to determine yet what his relationship is to his step-mother.

Thank you - that's a very speedy and generous reply.  I'll follow your lead on this.  Only minor tweaking required to the PC's family tree required.

• Like 1