Advice for running Six Season in Sartar and Company of the Dragon

John T.

Do any GMs who've run Six Season in Sartar and Company of the Dragon have any advice as to possible pain points, rough spots, etc. to look out for? What did you do with the two seasons between the end of Six Seasons and the start of Company with The Forging? Any suggestions for the first Company initiation? What's in the book is written from the perspective that the Ring already exists rather than the PCs being initiated as the Ring. As I'm new to Glorantha, I'm wondering if any more experienced with the setting came up with something better than I can for this first initiation for the Company. Any other advice, ideas, etc. are also appreciated.

• Like 1

The Ring members are chosen by the enigmatic Rainbow Wyrm (p.27): "They are the adventurers who found and liberated it from its prison. Any additional members of the Ring are appointed for extraordinary ability (Rune masters and the like)." So if you played Six Seasons, you already know who's in the Ring: it's the original player characters, plus any new adventurers who joined for the sequel. (By definition, an adventuring PC has extraordinary ability in the eyes of the Wyrm)

I'm a bit of a narrativist, myself. If the Haraborn Clan survivors spent two seasons on the run, hounded through the wilderness by Lunar and Colymar patrols, before the second movie's opening sequence, that's in the opening scroll text. You don't need to play through every day, week or season. You can give your players two seasons' worth of experience rolls and POW gains to beef up their characters from their life on the run.

That said, I haven't run or played the campaign(s) myself, and someone who has done may have better answers for you. 

Edited by Nick Brooke

I guess I didn't ask my question clearly enough. Sorry about that. Let me try to clarify.

I understand that the PCs will become the Ring, as I do intend to run Company after Six Seasons. What I'm unclear on is the process of how they become initiated into the Company in the first place. The description of the Company's Initiation, as per page 85 of Company says "The Head and the Ring are present, as are all other Companions." Also, "The Head is given the responsibility of delivering the Charge" but when the PCs and the most important survivors of the attack on Black Stag Vale decide to form that Ring for the first time, there are no Ring or Head yet to perform the initiation, so how are they Initiated?

I assume that Shah’vashak will have to be more actively involved, but due to lack of experience with RQ and Glorantha, this will be my first RQ campaign, I'm unsure what form that would take. Does Shah'vashak manifest and act as Head for that first Initiation? Does he do so for the whole group, or just for his chosen priest, who then becomes the Head and initiates everyone else? Of course, my Glorantha will vary, but I'd still like some input from folks more familiar with the setting, especially those who've actually run that first initiation, as to how this should go.

Edited by John T.
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, John T. said:

......for the first time, there are no Ring or Head yet to perform the initiation, so how are they Initiated?

I assume that Shah’vashak will have to be more actively involved, .... Does Shah'vashak manifest and act as Head for that first Initiation? Does he do so for the whole group, or just for his chosen priest, who then becomes the Head and initiates everyone else? ...

When Sh'Vash'kak is first discovered he will have chosen his priest - or his priest chosen him - read 6S pp. 80-82 and 101 for the ways this can happen -   and the rest of the party is invited (not compelled) to also sacrifice magic points to him.  This is the first initiation.   Not fancy at all.  After that my interpretation is that the Priest is the Head, but you don't worry about that until the second book. 

I note that the second book does not actually explain how you get to the later initiation ceremonies.  I haven't actually run that book, as I wanted to take my campaign in a different direction and can always loop back to it later if I want.    Looks to me as if it is the GM's choice how to get there, and also how much to role-play.  Does the spirit specify the ceremony, does the party make it up?  As written, that transition happens off stage. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

When Sh'Vash'kak is first discovered he will have chosen his priest - or his priest chosen him - read 6S pp. 80-82 and 101 for the ways this can happen -   and the rest of the party is invited (not compelled) to also sacrifice magic points to him.  This is the first initiation.   Not fancy at all.  After that my interpretation is that the Priest is the Head, but you don't worry about that until the second book. 

Good point. I had forgotten that.