Winter Solo for Squires?

Our first generation of PKs are almost dead, and we're encountering a gap with the second generation. Some of my players would like to play squires (a la The Book of the Entourage). What they don't have is an applicable winter solo. I'm thinking about something like this:

Squire Solo

Check one of the following: Battle, First Aid, Dagger, Horsemanship, Siege.
Check one courtly skill chosen by your knight.
Check one Trait that is famous for your knight.

How would you handle this?

I'd just use the rules in Entourage, with possibly the added trait and passion checks you suggested, and whatever skill checks that they gain.

Although if they are 18+, I'd just knight them early with -1 misc pick in chargen each year they are younger than 21. This is Anarchy, right? So presumably knights are needed.

I went with this in the end...

• Check one of the following: Battle, First Aid, Dagger, Horsemanship, Siege, Sword, Lance.
  • Check one of the following: Compose, Courtesy, Dancing, Flirting, Gaming, Intrigue, Orate, Play (Instrument), Singing.
  • Check a Trait that is famous for your knight (if you want to emulate them), or its opposite (if you want to rebel against them).
Edited by piersb
  • Like 2

I would honestly give checks for all of the first category, except maybe Dagger and Siege. Keep in mind, this is representing the squire learning how to do the basics of being a knight, I'm inclined to be more generous with checks rather than less, especially if they're starting with lower starting skills. Though if they're not starting with lower skills, it might not be an issue.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2021 at 3:25 PM, Call Me Deacon Blues said:

I would honestly give checks for all of the first category, except maybe Dagger and Siege. Keep in mind, this is representing the squire learning how to do the basics of being a knight, I'm inclined to be more generous with checks rather than less, especially if they're starting with lower starting skills. Though if they're not starting with lower skills, it might not be an issue.

I'm using the rules for squires in Entourage, which typically allow the squire to add five points to skills each year. (They can do other things instead, but given the low skill points at the start, I think that's the best option.)

I'm also keeping skill checks sparse, just because I want there to be an incentive to play knights instead. It's just more fun, I think.

To answer Morien's question earlier - I've had two squire characters, and both ended up starting at ages 16 and 15, respectively.