Why no love for Vangarthi

Murf

So I have bonded with a Hippogriff and now I want to be all I can be with it.

Back in the dim past flying was reserved mainly for Orlanthi Priests. The traditional 15 minuet duration and non reusability by all but the priest hood meant few took to the skies.

But RQ;G has changes all of that.

Rune magic is reusable by all initiates and Runelords. What's more for a modest investment in extension it can be used for up to a full year.

Additionally the number of airborne threats seem to multiply over the years with Moon boats, Gorakiki insects, hostile wind spirits. Wasp riders raiding cattle, Etc... 

Why would a Clan/tribe/ Kingdom not use this flying advantage to is maximum potential? Just the fast messenger caring and scouting would justify the costs alone.

One last thing is there an official cult write up? I found what looks like a home brew but nothing definitive. 

Vangath the Rider.odt

7 hours ago, Murf said:

Additionally the number of airborne threats seem to multiply over the years with Moon boats, Gorakiki insects, hostile wind spirits. Wasp riders raiding cattle, Etc... 

I don't think that they've increased. Moon boats are rare, Flying troll insects will be more common in troll lands, hostile wind spirits - not sure what these are, wasp riders are local too.

7 hours ago, Murf said:

Why would a Clan/tribe/ Kingdom not use this flying advantage to is maximum potential? Just the fast messenger caring and scouting would justify the costs alone.

There are no doubt a few Orlanth Adventurous initiates who do this, but remember that for an average SIZ adventurer you need 3 points of Flight and 5 points of extension for a year, 8 rune points is a lot IMO on top of what else you might be doing.

7 hours ago, Murf said:

One last thing is there an official cult write up?

No. It's worth noting that in Hero Wars that most of the subcults were effectively single RQ rune spells expanded into subcults. This could be interpreted in RQG that if you know Flight, you are a member of the Vangarth subcult, but it doesn't really add anything to the game. Other examples are:

• Flight - Vangarth
  • Lightning - Yavor (one of the Magical Weapon subcults)
  • Thunderbolt - Hedkoranth
  • Like 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/