Unarmed vs Armor & Clarification on Toughness

Konishi Ishida

First time poster, and relatively new to RD100; I'll post it in a numbered series of questions in attempt to maintain clarity.

1. Toughness is not a damage reduction but instead a damage threshold correct?
2. Assuming number 1 is the case, any damage under toughness is basically a scratch/bruise etc? And anything equal or over is an actual injury of some kind?
3. Unarmed attacks vs Armor, do they ignore armor or a portion of armor? How exactly does such damage work?
The closest thing I did find is Unarmed attacks acting as stun attacks can ignore armor, but any dice are turned into d2.
So a character with +1 might would only deal 2d2? Far as realism and mechanics meet, does it make sense to deal normal damage provided they can hit an uncovered location?

Sorry if any of these questions are repetitive, I did a search but couldn't find any posts.
Thanks for your time and assistance.

11 hours ago, Konishi Ishida said:

1. Toughness is not a damage reduction but instead a damage threshold correct?

Yes.

2. Assuming number 1 is the case, any damage under toughness is basically a scratch/bruise etc? And anything equal or over is an actual injury of some kind?

Yes.

However, I play that it gives a 1 point wound, "Just a flesh wound", which is not in the spirit of the rules but works at my table.

3. Unarmed attacks vs Armor, do they ignore armor or a portion of armor? How exactly does such damage work?

I don't know, but I cannot remember a rule about them.

A punch or kick should be treated the same as any other weapon. However, something like strangulation or smothering would probably ignore armour. Constriction normally ignores armour until the armour is overcome, modelling the squeezing and, ultimately, breaking of the armour, but I cannot remember if that is in the RD100 Rules.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

I have already had to answer this question for Dynamic D100 this month. Perhaps it deserves a specific box in the next iteration of the rules.

Punches and natural weapons are not meant for "punching someone to death". The rules do not allow you to use fists to obtain the same results you could achieve with a morning star or broadsword. Tavern style brawls are better resolved with Basic Combat. However, there will be times when you must go unarmed and/or unarmored against an armed opponent. This may be useful in three ways:

• Use fists and kicks to slow your opponent down. 1 or 2 points of damage will not incapacitate you, but subtract from your SR, preventing a counterattack later in the round.
  • Use a Grapple effect on a successful Brawl to catch your opponent, or to grab his weapon and disarm him, or even better to steal his weapon and reverse the situation.
  • Use Stun to drop your opponent's SR to zero and then using Subdue on the next attack. This will end the fight with your victory, no matter the disparity in equipment.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM