Out Now in Print! To Hunt a God

Austin

5 hours ago, Brian Duguid said:

Just dropping in to say that this is one of the absolute best products now available for the Jonstown Compendium (and there is obviously some stiff competition). The production quality and use of art set a new bar for community content, and there is just loads of gameable material in here. I've only had a quick skim through but I think much of the content will be adaptable for other purposes as well.

Top notch.

Be sure to leave a note on DTRPG to that effect, too. 😉

• Like 2

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

6 hours ago, Brian Duguid said:

Just dropping in to say that this is one of the absolute best products now available for the Jonstown Compendium (and there is obviously some stiff competition). The production quality and use of art set a new bar for community content, and there is just loads of gameable material in here. I've only had a quick skim through but I think much of the content will be adaptable for other purposes as well.

Top notch.

Oh, my, that is kind, Brian. Your stuff is so great! But, yeah, Austin has great ideas that are fun to read and edit! He is not as good a business man as he is a fanboy made good. That is, he puts a lot of fantastic material into a very expensive to produce package (financially and temporally) that I am sure he would like to buy for himself. Now this a guess, but it is based on working with him since the JC began. I bet the guess is too far off the mark. 

• Like 2

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

23 hours ago, Crel said:

And this means I am just on time to accept the Hunter S. Thompson Third Annual Award for Missing Editorial Deadlines with my last corrections having just been delivered.

YAHOO!

• Haha 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

45 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

And this means I am just on time to accept the Hunter S. Thompson Third Annual Award for Missing Editorial Deadlines with my last corrections having just been delivered.

YAHOO!

Eh, hasn't gone to print yet, so tweaks are still easy!

• Haha 1

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

8 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Oh, my, that is kind, Brian. Your stuff is so great! But, yeah, Austin has great ideas that are fun to read and edit! He is not as good a business man as he is a fanboy made good. That is, he puts a lot of fantastic material into a very expensive to produce package (financially and temporally) that I am sure he would like to buy for himself. Now this a guess, but it is based on working with him since the JC began. I bet the guess is too far off the mark. 

Nah, not far off the mark at all. On the business end, my main goal throughout this has been "be able to keep making stuff." To Hunt a God is probably my last "art" project—in the sense that I was creating to create, and comfortable operating at loss or break-even—for a while, unfortunately, and so I really wanted to close it (and MOTM) off with a bang.

For those who don't know, I'm currently trying to turn my writing into a full-time income. The JC has been a phenomenal help at honing my work, and teaching me lots of related skills (such as graphic design). I plan to continue writing for the JC, but my projects will inevitably have to scale back somewhat from the grandiose production of To Hunt a God. That doesn't mean I need to make books that look like crap, but I do need my RuneQuest writing to provide net income. So my next stuff will be aiming at "fairly good" rather than "excellent." Either that, or I'll have to do less RuneQuest writing.

However.

What I would love—what would be the dream, really—is to be doing well enough off JC stuff to turn the bulk of my energy to RuneQuest and Glorantha work (extra freebie content like the reviews or recent short story on my website). I doubt there's a full-time equivalent income there, but hitting even part-time equivalent would be absolutely incredible. And honestly, for the last few months that's roughly where my effort has been. These next few months should be seeing new publications from me on the JC for the first time in over a year. Their performance will have a big impact on deciding how much more RuneQuest content I can afford to create.

TLDR buy my books, I'll make more books! (Or shoot money at my Patreon because hey, always be shilling, right? 😄)

More games, more stuff to read, and I get to buy groceries. Figure that's a win for everyone involved, yeah?

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I've received the notification that the print proofs are shipping, so it's finally time to share that To Hunt a God is coming to Print on Demand! Availability depends on shipping, and if the proofs are OK. There will be two versions available:

• Budget: Standard color, softcover.
  • Fancy: Premium color, hardcover.

I'm not 100% certain on the prices yet, but probably around $30 for the softcover, and $50 for the hardcover (maybe less). Most of that is actually ink quality, not cover style! Both versions have the same 140 pages of content—whichever you pick, you won't be missing out on anything.

image.thumb.png.1789ca7dae42d9885792660700e75c22.png

• Like 4

• Austin changed the title to Coming soon to Print on Demand! To Hunt a God

And it's here!

To Hunt a God is now available in print! You can check it out at the link above.

If you'd like to take a peek inside, a friend helped me film unboxing the book for the first time. The video captures the softcover, not the hardcover, because they were sent in separate packages.

I hope you all enjoy! 😄

image.png.48b87732b37c027d7ec7a221f2c6b971.png

• Like 5

• Austin changed the title to Out Now in Print! To Hunt a God
2 hours ago, Soccercalle said:

I run a Sartar Campaign before the Dragonrise. How easy would it be to incorporate this scenario to such a campaign?

Very easy. It's loosely set in Fire Season of 1626 ST, but the main story makes no reference to metaplot events, and the side characters motives ought to be easily adaptable.

The trickiest bit would be getting to Esrolia from Sartar. I suggest either a shaman wanders north inviting the adventurers to come to the Festival of the Monkey King, or that you put the Temple of the Bones somewhere in a local forest. Tarndisi's Grove is a little small, but would get the job done well enough.

Edited by Crel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

Hey all, in addition to DriveThru doing tons of PDF discounts on the JC I've decided to knock the price down on To Hunt a God in premium Print on Demand for the duration of the sale. But if you pick one up, you have to promise to show me a picture of it! 😄

image.thumb.png.65eec853041ddc34b43dc67656488f6a.png

• Like 2