Information needed

Phounix

I am searching for a new generic system for my monster hunting homebrew campaign.

I’m considering buying Basic Roleplaying and the Magic book but I need some information.

I hope that there are members who can help.

Here are the questions that I have:

Are there environmental rules included (Poison, disease, falling, falling objects, gravity, extreme cold & heat, hunger & thirst, high & low pressure, vacuum, explosions, fire, traps,…)?

Nonhuman characters: Is there a creation system included for creating nonhumans?

Supernatural & Psionic skills: Are there guidelines to create supernatural skills (Telepathy, telekinesis, pyrokinensis, cryokinesis, empathy, medium, fortune telling, game of Thrones Warg ability, psychometry, Chi abilities,….)

Edited by Scotty
removed odd formatting
  • Like 1

If you're talking about the Big Gold Book, it has a lot of what you are after:

• Spot rules cover poison, disease, falling, fire and heat, cold, vacuum, explosions (plus radiation, underwater, weather, zero-gravity). I'm not sure how well the RAW handle low, high, variable gravity or differences in atmospheric pressure, but there will be examples to work from. List on page 212.
  • Nonhuman characters: all 'complete' creatures are playable by default, and examples in the book include fantasy staples (e.g. Dwarf, Elf, Halfling, Orc & Troll) plus generic alien Greys. There is no system for "building" nonhuman character templates, but you could use these examples to roll your own (plus e.g. things like Mutations and Psychic Abilities). Speaking of which... 
  • Supernatural & Psionic skills: there is a Psychic Abilities section, alongside Magic, Mutations, Sorcery and Super Powers. (Most of these are c.10 pages; Sorcery is 2x and Super Powers 3x the length of the other sections). It includes Telepathy, Telekinesis, Pyrokinesis, Cryokinesis, Empathy, Precognition, Mind Control ("warging"?) and Psychometry, plus a dozen or so more. You'd have to be clearer about what "Chi abilities" are: if they're about temporary boosts to characteristics under stress, one of the other systems might have exactly what you need (e.g. Characteristic Spells under Sorcery).

BRP is very hackable. The book is a pick-and-mix buffet: you aren't expected to include everything from it in your game, and if there's something specific you want to add or change it's simplicity itself. You just have to know what you're trying to do.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

On 1/6/2022 at 4:17 AM, Phounix said:

I am searching for a new generic system for my monster hunting homebrew campaign.

By monster hunting, do you mean modern urban fantasy style monster hunting (Supernatural, Shadow Hunters, Desden Files, Rivers of London, Monster Hunter International)? As Nick said, the Big Golden Book covers a lot of ground for what you are asking and you might want to look at other BRP games that could cover similar ground. Call of Cthulhu with Pulp Cthulhu but with Sanity removed does monster hunting pretty well as would After the Vampire Wars from The Design Mechanism (based on a variant of BRP) would also be good for inspiration. Also note that Rivers of London RPG will be published by Chaosium in 2022 (also based on d100).

I’m considering buying Basic Roleplaying and the Magic book but I need some information.

There is already 2 flavors of magic in BRP, Magic and Sorcery. The Magic Book will give 3 or 4 different flavors and Enlightened Magic will give you another 3. Add to it the magic system in Call of Cthulhu and After the Vampire Wars (same author as Enlghtened Magic) and you have plenty of options!

Nonhuman characters: Is there a creation system included for creating nonhumans?

Definitely plenty to choose from! In the BGB only there is: 

Fantasy Creatures: Centaur, Dragon, Dwarf, Elf, Ghost, Ghoul, Giant, Griffin, Halfling, Mummy, Minotaur, Orc, Skeleton, Troll, Unicorn, Vampire, Werewolf, Zombie. 
Supernatural Creatures: Angel, Demon (Greater, Lesser), Elementals (Air, Earth, Fire, Water). 
Science Fiction Creatures: Alien (Grey, Xenomorph), 
Blob, Robot (Giant, Killer, Utility).

Quite a few of them could be used as is or as inspiration for a non-human character. After the Vampire Wars has its own take on a few of them (shifters, lycanthropes, vampires, half-fae) specifically for player characters. They would be fairly easy to steal for the BGB.

Supernatural & Psionic skills: Are there guidelines to create supernatural skills (Telepathy, telekinesis, pyrokinensis, cryokinesis, empathy, medium, fortune telling, game of Thrones Warg ability, psychometry, Chi abilities,….)

Pulp Cthulhu and After the Vampire Wars have also their own version of psychic powers that could be used with the BGB.

If you like world-building and rule-building, you can pick and choose what you like from the BGB. If you feel uninspired by a sub-system (say psionics) you can turn towards other flavour of BRP. I suggest you ask around here and specifically state what you don't like, what you would prefer and people will be happy to point you towards another supplement.