HarnMaster 3rd Edition

drohem

Ok, I was thinking about HarnMaster and went to the Columbia Games website. I was interested to find out that a 3rd edition was published. I then went to the forums and found a nasty mess. It appears that the creator N. Robin Crossby is in some kind of messy fall-out with Columbia Games. The legality of materials published by both parties is in question. There are many threads dedicated to this issue.

I then went to N. Robin Crossby's Harnic website and found out that there is a HarnMaster Gold edition and products.

Anyway, does anyone own this edition and earlier editions? Are there any significant changes to the previous editions?

What is the HarnMaster Gold edition? Is this significantly different that the standard 3rd edition by Columbia Games?

BRP Ze 32/420

Ok, I was thinking about HarnMaster and went to the Columbia Games website. I was interested to find out that a 3rd edition was published. I then went to the forums and found a nasty mess. It appears that the creator N. Robin Crossby is in some kind of messy fall-out with Columbia Games. The legality of materials published by both parties is in question. There are many threads dedicated to this issue.

Anyway, does anyone own this edition and earlier editions? Are there any significant changes to the previous editions?

THe fallout actually happened some time ago. When second edtion was released Columbia simplified a lot of the rules against Robin's wishes. He ended up doing a Harmaster:Gold edition with the rules the way he wanted them. I preferred 1st edition to 2nd, but Gold edition to first.

Now, I suppose Robin and Columbia both want to go their own ways. With indie publishing Robin could get by without Columbia, but I suspect thet will fight over the system.

What edition do you have? Maybe we can compare notes. I've still got GOLD around.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

I have the 1st and 2nd editions.

Ah...so the HarnMaster Gold edition is basically Crossby's version of what the 2nd edition should be instead of what Columbia Games published.

The last time I played HarnMaster was years ago, and it was the 1st edition. I just recently stumbled across the CGI forums and saw these huge threads about the problem and legal status. I guess the contractual agreement between both parties is still in question, which affects future publications by both parties.

BRP Ze 32/420

I have the 1st and 2nd editions.

Ah...so the HarnMaster Gold edition is basically Crossby's version of what the 2nd edition should be instead of what Columbia Games published.

The last time I played HarnMaster was years ago, and it was the 1st edition. I just recently stumbled across the CGI forums and saw these huge threads about the problem and legal status. I guess the contractual agreement between both parties is still in question, which affects future publications by both parties.

Yeah, I guess so. I know that I hated the second edtion ENC rules. Very much like MRQ, where a guy wearing armor suffered bug skill penalties. GOLD handles that differendlty, but is a little more complicated.

I can fill you in onthe changesif you want. Robin did put a list on the iside cover that mentions all the changes between the 2nrd edtion and the "Author's Cut".

Yes please, that would be cool. Just a brief overview is necessary; nothing to in depth at this moment.

I was thinking about adding HM3 to my collection, but with the purchase of BRP pre-production version and the issues, this is on the way, way back burner.

BRP Ze 32/420

The high points:

General

-Harmaster divided into GM Edition, and Player Edtion

-Layout Changed

-Inclusion of Optional rules, noted with check box. GM chan check those options that he wants to use.

Character Generation

-Family Development, Medical and Pysche expanded and put into GM Edition.

-Attribute generation modifiers boxed off and put into table for easy reference

-Relationship between family and occupational skills has been clarified and new options provided.

Skills

-Number of skills reduced; number of specialties increased.

-Specialty rules rewritten

-Practice, sudy ML decline revised

-Personal Effectiveness table added

-Some skills have been more carefully codified.

-Information on language families.

-Psionics rules revised and moved to GM edition.

-Skill descriptions move to all new GlossDex (a Glossary style Index).

-New skills (Condition, Initiative, and Spirit)

Combat

-Several section reclassified as advanced rules to make the game easier to for new players to get up to speed.

-Numerous optional/advanced rules.

-Several different weapon damage options

-Optional armor damage rules

-Missile combat radially revised

-Quick Combat system improved

Weaponcraft

-Simplified and made more interesting with several optional additions

Religion

Ritual invocations clarifed and moved to GlossDex.

Gloss Dex

_Now its got one.

Cool and thank you.

I am not a big fan of GM and Players edition books, unless absolutely necessary because of volume of content. This doesn't seem necessary to me with HarnMaster from this overview of changes.

I feel like they are trying to milk the cash cow (i.e. me, and Drohem doesn't like to be milked!) with two or more books which could've easily been done in one book.

BRP Ze 32/420

Cool and thank you.

I am not a big fan of GM and Players edition books, unless absolutely necessary because of volume of content. This doesn't seem necessary to me with HarnMaster from this overview of changes.

I feel like they are trying to milk the cash cow (i.e. me, and Drohem doesn't like to be milked!) with two or more books which could've easily been done in one book.

Not so much as you think. I'm not sure if the GM book was ever done. I got the players book and it is basically everything in a stadard Hanmaster book.

I don't mind a players/GM book when they are actually done that way. For instance a book on character creation and basic rules that players could pick up.