Questions On Magic items & Enchantments.

Deepest_Lore

Been sifting through the Runequest: Roleplaying in Glorantha core book and I have a few questions about Enchantments. Adding a spell matrix to say a sword I understand. But what is the benefit of binding a spirit to an item or animal? I think I understand the mechanics of sacrificing POW to bind the spirit but I'm confused as to what this achieves and what the benefit is.

And lastly magic items. I've seen checking out some of the pre made adventures and they have cool magical gear. I understand that this edition is still on going and the rules for making magical gear or a magical gear themed book might come in the future, but is binding a spirit how magical Items are made? If not was there useful rules or item lists from prior editions that can be used as a base? Or I'm better off going full GM and making my own magical weapons and armor from scratch?

You asked about the benefit of binding a spirit to an item:  That lets you keep the spirit.  If it is not bound to something then it will probably not stay around when the control spell wears off. 

You also asked about bindimg to an animal.  One benefit of binding a spirit to an animal is that it can use the animal's senses, so the spirit can operate more autonomously.

Allied spirits can use the priest's senses - but an allied spirit in an animal can use spells on targets its owner cannot see.

If it does not have senses and is not an allied spirit, then  according to page 250, as I read it  a non-allied bound spirit can communicate with the binder only when it (its object)  is in contact with the binder.   So if it is out of physical contact, in that case although you can command it to do things, it can't use the binder's senses so if it does not have its own senses then what it can do is very limited. You would not be able to use it for a second spell (counting the owner's own spell as the first spell).  This makes it just a MP and spell storage reservoir.

Edited by Squaredeal Sten
clarification
  • Helpful 1

25 minutes ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

You asked about the benefit of binding a spirit to an item:  That lets you keep the spirit.  If it is not bound to something then it will probably not stay around when the control spell wears off. 

You also asked about bindimg to an animal.  One benefit of binding a spirit to an animal is that it can use the animal's senses, so the spirit can operate more autonomously.

Allied spirits can use the priest's senses - but an allied spirit in an animal can use spells on targets its owner cannot see.

If it does not have senses and is not an allied spirit, then  according to page 250, as I read it  a non-allied bound spirit can communicate with the binder only when it (its object)  is in contact with the binder.   So if it is out of physical contact, in that case although you can command it to do things, it can't use the binder's senses so if it does not have its own senses then what it can do is very limited. You would not be able to use it for a second spell (counting the owner's own spell as the first spell).  This makes it just a MP and spell storage reservoir.

Thanks that makes way more sense than how I was reading it.  So the bound spirit in say a ring the wielder could command the spirit in the ring to cast one of it's own spells with its own magic points?  And a spirit bound to an animal can do the same with but does not need to be in physical contact with the person who bound it. Correct?

2 hours ago, Deepest_Lore said:

But what is the benefit of binding a spirit to an item or animal?

Item - you get to access the spirit's spells and magic points. This is automatic while you are holding onto the item.

You can also get it to cast its spells, either on you while the item is held (eg, Heal, Protection), or on the binding object itself (eg, Bladesharp on a sword). (It has virtually zero perception of the outside world, so casting on other targets is questionable.)

Additionally, you can give one command to the spirit to leave the binding enchantment to do something outside of it (eg, attack someone in spirit combat). However, if you can control the spirit through a spell, you can keep giving it commands until the spell expires. (this can include forcing it back into the binding enchantment).

Animal - you can get it to cast spells, but now it can use the animal's senses to target their spells. You lose the ability to use their spells or MPs. but the animal is (generally) more intelligent, and can now understand more complex commands, and can be used as a scout and report back to you. (however, I have to ask - what's to keep a random spirit from just running away :p) Allied spirits are usually put into animals. because of their attachment to the PC. As @Squaredeal Sten said, it can be autonomous.

Magic items - yes, not much in the core rulebook about this (other than spell matrices). The Weapons & Equipment book has a few examples of what you're referring to - items with permanent abilities (not spells). E.g, permanent +10% to a certain skill while held/worn. There's also the Plunder book on DrivethruRPG.

2 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

Item - you get to access the spirit's spells and magic points. This is automatic while you are holding onto the item.

You can also get it to cast its spells, either on you while the item is held (eg, Heal, Protection), or on the binding object itself (eg, Bladesharp on a sword). (It has virtually zero perception of the outside world, so casting on other targets is questionable.)

Additionally, you can give one command to the spirit to leave the binding enchantment to do something outside of it (eg, attack someone in spirit combat). However, if you can control the spirit through a spell, you can keep giving it commands until the spell expires. (this can include forcing it back into the binding enchantment).

Animal - you can get it to cast spells, but now it can use the animal's senses to target their spells. You lose the ability to use their spells or MPs. but the animal is (generally) more intelligent, and can now understand more complex commands, and can be used as a scout and report back to you. (however, I have to ask - what's to keep a random spirit from just running away :p) Allied spirits are usually put into animals. because of their attachment to the PC. As @Squaredeal Sten said, it can be autonomous.

Magic items - yes, not much in the core rulebook about this (other than spell matrices). The Weapons & Equipment book has a few examples of what you're referring to - items with permanent abilities (not spells). E.g, permanent +10% to a certain skill while held/worn. There's also the Plunder book on DrivethruRPG.

Thanks a million. I I forgot that I have the Weapons & Equipment book, I'll give it and the Plunder book a look through. I was doing pretty well understanding the system on my own until I got to Binding Spirits and Sorcery Magic and my brain turned to mush lol. (I made another thread  few days ago and already got my answer on Sorcery Magic).