Mythras Animism converted to RQG?

Elements Warden

I did it the other way around, that is, put the Gloranthan bits into RQ6. Done like that, it is incredibly simple, largely because RQ6/Mythras "runs" Glorantha pretty easily. There are also resources like Notes from Pavis, which assume that you are running RQ6/Mythras with Glorantha by default.

Putting RQ6 Animism into RQG depends on how much and which of the mechanics you want to transfer. Spirit Abilities, animist skills, and some other skills, spirit combat all work differently from RQG and may be a pain to retro-backfit into RQG from Mythras. So, it's possible but not easy depending on how much of it you are interested in using. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bilharzia said:

I did it the other way around, that is, put the Gloranthan bits into RQ6. Done like that, it is incredibly simple, largely because RQ6/Mythras "runs" Glorantha pretty easily. There are also resources like Notes from Pavis, which assume that you are running RQ6/Mythras with Glorantha by default.

Putting RQ6 Animism into RQG depends on how much and which of the mechanics you want to transfer. Spirit Abilities, animist skills, and some other skills, spirit combat all work differently from RQG and may be a pain to retro-backfit into RQG from Mythras. So, it's possible but not easy depending on how much of it you are interested in using. 

I usually think of most subsystems of the "extended BRP family of games" as pretty inter-compatible with one another.

Can you point out any particular mechanics from "the Nash/Whitaker branch" that you think would be hard to adapt into RQG or another BRP-core game, and what you think would be challenging?

C'es ne pas un .sig

Can you point out any particular mechanics from "the Nash/Whitaker branch" that you think would be hard to adapt into RQG or another BRP-core game, and what you think would be challenging?

None of it is "hard to adapt" or "challenging", I was responding to the notion that it would "work easily with RQG" - and my answer is no - not "easily". with some work re-jigging the system? Yes. But personally, I would rather just use Mythras as the system and use the Gloranthan setting. I have no wish to go back to running RQ2/RQG ... because if I did want to do that ... why bother with Mythras in the first place!?

That said, these things come to mind:
1. Skills - I suppose "spirit combat skill" can substitute for Binding, but it is not quite the same, since Binding is used for negotiation and commanding spirits, as well as combat. Trance doesn't have a direct equivalent. There is also Willpower which you would either bring over into RQG or drop. There's no resistance table in Mythras, it's all skills Vs skills with occasional limits imposed by characteristics.

2. Combat/Negotiation - Spirit Combat uses special effects which you could use, it means adopting that way of running a "combat" (which can also mean negotiation) but it does also raise the question of then why not use the Mythras combat system itself as well? Spirit Combat "damage" is quite different, I'm not sure which way you would go with that. Most of the SEs could be used. There's no model for Tenacity in RQG, which I prefer so that spirit combat is kept separate from magic points, but that's an option.

3. Spirit Abilities are the building blocks of spirits in Mythras - many of which transfer ok, but many of which don't. The Bless/Curses would need re-making as about half of them don't mean anything in RQG.

4. Spirit types - I'm not sure what you do with the RQG spirits - do you convert them? bin them? make your own using the spirit bestiary as a thematic guide? Most Mythras spirits use abilities, not spells, but RQG spirits rely on spells almost entirely. There's a whole chapter in the bestiary so again I don't know which way I would go, either way you have to re-work the spirits.

I usually think of most subsystems of the "extended BRP family of games" as pretty inter-compatible with one another.

Broadly true, then when you get to the specifics, there are some big differences.

• Helpful 1