Hexcrawling and Wealth in BRP

Gwyndolin

I have been slow putting together a map and locations for a hexcrawl and although I originally had another system set to run it with.

However, I wanted to give some thought as to how I might run it in BRP.

The fact that it comes with travel speeds for different terrain and movement is very useful but the only thing I can really think of the conflicts with the hexcrawl style is wealth.

I understand that wealth is abstracted so it can apply to any setting and I actually really like the wealth system, but in a hexcrawl trying to get treasure is usually a big driving force. 

Admittedly I had planned for old DnD rules where treasure is directly tied to leveling up but I really like the BRP system and its focus on skills instead of class so maybe I am just thinking about this the wrong way. Maybe a hexcrawl in this sytem would naturally be more narrative based?

I suppose the main questions I have are:

1. Can a characters wealth be increased? (I couldnt find any rules on this, only on initial wealth) 

2. Do you think a hexcrawl / hexploration type game can be done with this sytem.

Any tips you have in this regard are deeply appreciated.

Thanks 💜

3 hours ago, Gwyndolin said:

1. Can a characters wealth be increased? (I couldnt find any rules on this, only on initial wealth) 

My Rule One for D100-style systems is "If it can be done in the real world then it can be done in [this system]". So, in this case, Wealth can be increased in the real world, so it can be increased in BRPUGE.

In Character Generation, it says "you and your gamemaster may choose to adjust the suggested wealth level up or down depending on your character concept" and I have no problem in extending that beyond character generation.

• How do you change your Wealth rating:
  • Move into a Profession that has a higher Wealth rating
  • Gain a sponsor (Sugar Daddy/Mommy) who can assist you by bumping up your Wealth by one level
  • Gain enough money that your Wealth level increases to the next level
  • Move into a Profession that has a lower Wealth rating (Your Wealth might not decrease immediately but could eventually go down)
  • Lose your job
  • Be prevented from working in your Profession
3 hours ago, Gwyndolin said:

2. Do you think a hexcrawl / hexploration type game can be done with this sytem.

It isn't what I normally do, if I understand it right. Normally, I'd draw a map and know what is there on the map. With a hexcrawl/hexploration game, you roll randomly to see what is in the hex when you get there, so you are drawing the map randomly on a hex by hex basis, is that right?

If so, then yes, BRP can work with that well, as random tables are nothing new to BRP.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here