Character Creation, Step 3: Age

SDLeary

Would anyone have an idea as to why the progression for additional years of age is the way it is?

Step Three: Age

The default age for characters is 17+1D6 years old. Your gamemaster may choose to alter this based on the requirements of the game setting. If you wish to begin play with a character younger or older, choose an age that seems appropriate and meets your gamemaster’s approval.

• For every full 10 years added to the rolled starting age, based on the level of the campaign, modify professional skill points by +0 (Normal), +20 (Heroic), +30 (Epic), or +40 (Superhuman) (see Step Seven).
  • Any fraction of years below 10 does not qualify for this skill bonus. Based on level of campaign, for every year below the minimum age (18) described above, subtract 0 (Normal), 20 (Heroic), 30 (Epic), or 40 skill points (Superhuman) from your character’s professional skill points.

For additional starting age, it seems a bit odd that characters in Normal campaigns gain nothing for a 10 year interval. 

The progression for those with fewer years than starting also seems a bit odd. Again we see characters in a Normal campaign with no change, in this case what is a substantial malus for other campaign types. I suppose this could be justified by the fact that the other campaign types get larger skill point pools to offset?

None of this is game breaking or unchangeable, just a bit odd.

SDLeary

1 hour ago, NickMiddleton said:

I’d guess it’s supposed to be +10 / -10… and house ruling it as such would do little harm imo. Weirdly, seems to be an artefact from the BGB.

That was my thought; makes much more sense based on the progression. I hadn't noticed that it was a BGB artifact, and dumped it in the Corrections thread when the v2 file came out.

Oh well, a new house rule! 

SDLeary