Maidstone Archer Lifespan?

Jex

Okay, I'm probably getting a bit ahead of things since I haven't finished my Marshedge project yet (I'm working on it, I swear; I hope to have it done by the end of the month—at least the writing if not all the illustrations), but I've been mulling over some ideas for future projects, and I had a possible idea for one of them for which the matter in the topic of this title is relevant.  Do Maidstone Archers have normal human lifespans, or do they live significantly longer than humans?  Or is this something that hasn't been established in canon?

(I kind of want to use a Maidstone Archer in my next RuneQuest project, but given the nature of that project it would only work if Maidstone Archers could live for at least a century and a half.  If not, though, no big deal; the Maidstone Archer was just a fun detail I wanted to include, but it isn't essential to the concept, and the project can still work fine without it.)

(Side question: In earlier editions Maidstone Archers were called "grotarons", but as far as I can tell this term has been dropped from the latest edition (maybe it's used somewhere, but not that I could find).  Is "grotaron" an officially deprecated term, or is it still used in some contexts?  Or is it, for instance, a rude nickname to which Maidstone Archers would take exception?)

As descendants of a mountain and probably a God's War remnant, I would have them long lived. Most large criatures are, so I do not expect them to be an exception. Overpopulation is mentioned as one of the reasons for wandering as well, and that fits with longevity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, JRE said:

As descendants of a mountain and probably a God's War remnant, I would have them long lived. Most large criatures are, so I do not expect them to be an exception.

Yes, I was kind of thinking along those lines, but it's good to hear that someone else has similar reasoning.  Thanks.

On 6/5/2023 at 6:01 AM, Jex said:

Do Maidstone Archers have normal human lifespans, or do they live significantly longer than humans?  Or is this something that hasn't been established in canon?

I just assumed that they lived longer than humans, maybe for centuries.

On 6/5/2023 at 6:01 AM, Jex said:

In earlier editions Maidstone Archers were called "grotarons", but as far as I can tell this term has been dropped from the latest edition (maybe it's used somewhere, but not that I could find).  Is "grotaron" an officially deprecated term, or is it still used in some contexts?  Or is it, for instance, a rude nickname to which Maidstone Archers would take exception?

In my Glorantha, Maidstone Archers call themselves Grotarons.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here