Out now in print: Japan - Empire of Shadows

Nick Brooke

Available now from the Miskatonic Repository in softcover print-on-demand: Japan - Empire of Shadows, a Call of Cthulhu 1920s sourcebook by David Trotti and Amy Kate Connolly that's all about hunting the Mythos in imperial-era Japan. This massive 400-page tome is printed in standard colour. The digital edition is an Electrum best-seller (published two months ago, and just forty sales from Gold), with five  ratings (so far) on DriveThruRPG.

Japan-EmpireofShadows.thumb.jpg.2e4b3f3b5eef06acb5c5ecbe68534931.jpg

Photo courtesy of Amy Kate Connolly. 
(NB: a hardcover edition is also being prepared, but we had to redo its covers and it's probably still a month away.)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mugen said:

Is there any relationship between this book and Secrets of Japan ?

As the author confirms on the book's Discussion thread, they're not related. He also wrote, "I wanted to stay very far away from Secrets of Japan (both in time and content)."

I hope that's what you wanted to hear; you can ask questions there if there's anything else you'd like to know.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nick Brooke said:

As the author confirms on the book's Discussion thread, they're not related. He also wrote, "I wanted to stay very far away from Secrets of Japan (both in time and content)."

I hope that's what you wanted to hear; you can ask questions there if there's anything else you'd like to know.

Yes. I like SoJ, but it always seemed very disconnected from other Cthulhu sources...

I bought the pdf for EoS and am waiting with great anticipation for the hardcover. It really is an amazing book. The amount of detail, information and gaming content is impressive. 

I have SoJ, and EoS is a very different beastie. It's set in the 1920s, not present day. It does a really good job of respecting the culture without resorting to stereotypes. And it's crammed with maps, locations, NPCs and Japanese inspired creatures in a really well structured way that keepers can use like a massive sandbox/toolkit. I haven't tried running any of the three scenarios yet (I'm still reading the book), but the stories are engaging. I'm also very excited to see Nan Madol included in the south Pacific, since that's what Lovecraft supposedly based one (or more) of his stories on. I sadly can't remember the title(s). 

I love the cover. I can't wait to add one to the shelf (after reading it, of course). 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

• 1 month later...

The hardcover edition is now available: Japan - Empire of Shadows! Please read the product description all the way to the end if you already bought the PDF and now want to buy a print edition.

IMG_3982.thumb.jpeg.2a1406bf9d536d445b87df8045435bd3.jpeg

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, John Hall said:

I am in! I am so in!

It looks amazing. How heavy is it? More importantly does it do +1 bludgeon damage? 😁

The hardcover is about 1.48 kg, or 3.27 pounds.