Scimitar?

Barak Shathur

Aren't scimitars sold a little short in Mythras? Basically an expensive broadsword without Impale. Or an inferior falchion. If you were to boost it, what would you do? I guess it is possible to impale with a scimitar, but it would be a bit boring to make it just an expensive broadsword. One could add a damage point, with the argument that they have very good cutting power, but I don't like the idea of damage creep. Also might make them a bit overpowered. One idea I have is to reduce ENC to 1, like a sabre, the logic being that they are somewhat less clunky to handle than broad or long swords. But that's a little contrived maybe. My ideal solution would be some kind of armour penetration vs soft armour, since they have such cutting power, but that's not a function in the rules. Thoughts?

Added: another idea would be some kind of improved bleeding, say a grade more difficult on the endurance test or something. But, that does seem a little too house-ruley maybe. 

Anyway, am I the only one who finds Mythras scimitars a bit pointless, pun intended :,( 

Edited by Barak Shathur

I mean, nothing really stops you from changing it one way or the other. Scimitars were not really in europe, broadswords and falchions were not really in south asia. Scimitars were used into the Enlightenment period, while falchions were left behind. Falchions are available in ancient times, while scimitars are not. I would go with defining what your setting has - that's a 10000 year weapon table 🙂

• Like 1

They are found in different Milieus, with an overlap. Scimitars are found in Medieval, Renaissance, Enlightenment. Sabres from Enlightenment to Industrial. Sabres are very modern weapons. But if you want to put a Westinghouse Variable Cartridge Blaster in a medieval game, go ahead if that's what your games are like, you do you.

On 9/27/2023 at 8:55 PM, Bilharzia said:

They are found in different Milieus, with an overlap. Scimitars are found in Medieval, Renaissance, Enlightenment. Sabres from Enlightenment to Industrial. Sabres are very modern weapons. 

I was comparing scimitars to broadswords and falchions.

On 9/27/2023 at 8:55 PM, Bilharzia said:

But if you want to put a Westinghouse Variable Cartridge Blaster in a medieval game, go ahead if that's what your games are like, you do you.

This is not a valid comparison.  Sabres and scimitars are both long, curved swords. Scimitars are strong weapons, at the least on a par with broadswords. But in Mythras, they are simply worse. I happen to find the sabre stats pretty much how I would have designed a scimitar, so I'm using those. What's your problem?

On 5/8/2022 at 1:02 PM, Bilharzia said:

I can't see you are interested in anything but hyperbole.

This you?

Edited by Barak Shathur