Basic Roleplaying: Universal Game Engine is available now in hardcover!

Scotty

4 hours ago, Primo Cavaliere said:

Thanks radmonger.

But what's your counsel? Is a good idea to purchase the Universal Game Engine or not?

This rulebook is a more or less generic toolkit to assemble your own RPG using the skill-centric / un-classed / roll-low-d100 rules of BRP; or to add one of the options in the book into another BRP-family game that you feel needs the option.

As such, I personally consider this (or the earlier "BGB" edition) an essential part of my own RPG library.

RuneQuest is its own whole BRP-based RPG.  It's complete; the GM's book isn't needed to begin play, to launch a campaign.  It has some setting-specific material -- as does CoC -- that isn't present in the big "BRP" volumes, because those setting (Glorantha & the Cthulhu Mythos) aren't included in the BRP volumes.

I do not expect you'll find much in the GM's book that will be duplicated in the big BRP toolkit books, but I could be mistaken.

Nevertheless, I think it's a good idea to buy the "UGE" volume!

C'es ne pas un .sig

Ah, I wish I could get the "leatherette" edition, but my massive mistrust of all 3rd party payment services(*) prevents me from getting a physical copy from Chaosium's own market... 😞

Well, if I ever get a chance to get even a normal version during overseas trips I'd definitely pick it up. 🙂

(*) Ever since about a decade ago when some evil soul assumed to be from Delaware, U.S. somehow nearly robbed me 500 bucks via PayPal. It would have been nice to just let directly use your credit card without saving information, but well...

5 hours ago, Lucas Yew said:

Ah, I wish I could get the "leatherette" edition, but my massive mistrust of all 3rd party payment services(*) prevents me from getting a physical copy from Chaosium's own market... 😞

Well, if I ever get a chance to get even a normal version during overseas trips I'd definitely pick it up. 🙂

(*) Ever since about a decade ago when some evil soul assumed to be from Delaware, U.S. somehow nearly robbed me 500 bucks via PayPal. It would have been nice to just let directly use your credit card without saving information, but well...

You may be able to order it via a local game-store...?
Ask if the store participates in the "Bits&Mortar" program -- that will get you the PDF as well!

C'es ne pas un .sig