legends and lays

who was laden with speeches

and knew virtually all

of the venerable sagas

found instead another

story to tell.

- Beowulf

DESCRIPTION

Years ago Berchtwald rose from being a mere fishmonger to Cyning of all Eron (Tiwesdæg Clíewen). After putting down the last rebellious Eorl, and subduing the savages of the mountain clans (Tiwesdæg Clíewen 2), now he would have his lands know more of the world, and trade with them. He would also have his bastard son find some place of honour, but he must needs earn it by his deeds. And so he sends forth a party to the mainland, to explore and send back reports, and seeks those who are lofgeornost, most eager for glory, as was Beowulf.

GameCircle spirit. Now I've found that running sequel campaigns works well. When players hear the history of the campaign world, and realise that the history was created by themselves or other players, they immediately feel more at home, more invested in the game world. And of course at our seasonal Geektogethers they can meet these former players, if none are in the group.

Comment: this is a continuation of the series. In general I run short (6-12 session), closed-ended campaigns. This keeps players interested and committed, and allows for a sense of having a complete story told. Between campaigns, I usually rotate 2 of the 4 players out, and bring in a new 2. This keeps the group fresh, and lets players have breaks from gaming to stay hungry, or else try out other groups and games, in the

First Tiwesdæg I ran using GURPS, and Second using Fate. An abortive Third was run using Advanced RuneQuest (the GW version of RQ third edition). I came to realise that the system had little or no effect on play, what counted was the natures of the players, and how they combined with each-other to move things forward, or not. And so this time I think I'll use BRP, just to keep things simple so we can focus on what really matters - the people around the game table.

Seeking two players... :)

Tiwesdæg Clíewen - adventuring in a world where magic is magical, and monsters are monstrous

Strange - oh well, fixed the link.

No, we don't get such interesting things on Aussie tv, just reruns of Friends. The image is from a recent movie, Beowulf and Grendel, starring Gerard Butler. It's not made it Down Under even on dvd, but by all accounts the movie was cheesy and badly-acted, and the monster looked really fake. But it has some great screenshots which make for good illustrations of dark ages characters, campaign promos and so on.

Tiwesdæg Clíewen - adventuring in a world where magic is magical, and monsters are monstrous

Strange - oh well, fixed the link.

No, we don't get such interesting things on Aussie tv, just reruns of Friends. The image is from a recent movie, Beowulf and Grendel, starring Gerard Butler. It's not made it Down Under even on dvd, but by all accounts the movie was cheesy and badly-acted, and the monster looked really fake. But it has some great screenshots which make for good illustrations of dark ages characters, campaign promos and so on.

hehee...that's funny. I have that movie on Netflix, and I'm going to watch it tonight. I'll let you know how cheesy it is. :lol:

BRP Ze 32/420

Well, I just got done watching Beowulf and Grendel. It wasn't that terrible or cheesy.

The cinematography was great. There were some really great location shots. Very beautiful long shots of the country. The costumes were great and realistic. The armor and weaponry was cool looking.

I have four issues with it:

1. The actors were mostly Scottish and had thick accents which made difficult to understand at times. It made it hard to suspend disbelief that there were Danish or Norsefolk. Also, the actress that played Selma was American and so her accent was a stark contrast to Butler's Scottish brogh.

2. They never really explained what the troll Grendel was. He was protrayed as some kind of neanthradal. Then there was his 'kin' which was some kind of sea hag. They never explained the connection between the sea hag and Grendel.

3. It was slow and chopy at times.

4. The used the word "f***ing" a lot. That really blew the disbelief for me. If they would've not used modern slang and cuss words, and kept more historically accurate, then I could've looked past the Scottish brogh from the actors. But, when they use those words, then they sound like modern Scots.

Grendel and the Sea Hag were obviously costumed, but I wouldn't say that it was a terrible job of makeup.

Overall, it wasn't terrible. It was a little slow and left some things unexplained, but the cinematography, sets, and costumes were cool.

I would go out and buy it immediately add to a DVD collection, but if you get the chance to see it and you have two hours, then go for it.

BRP Ze 32/420

Grendel was the son of the sea hag and the old king, just as the last dragon was the son of Beowulf and the sea hag (Beowulf had better genes, that's all).

I saw the movie as 3D, which was very impressive. I'm not sure I would want to see it as 2D though, as the story was pretty thin.

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

Well, in this movie they never made the connection between King Rothgar and Grendel. In this movie, Grendel's father was hunted and killed by Rothgar and his men. Grendel was a small child that Rothgar let live out of compassion.

Also, in this movie Beowulf never interacted with the Sea Hag until the end when he killed her in the cave.

Beowulf asked King Rothgar why he killed Grendel's father and he said that he crossed their path and took some fish.

They never explained the connection between the Trolls (Grendel and his father) and the Sea Hag.

In this movie, Beowulf slept with Selma the Danish witch. Selma already had a son in hiding by Grendel.

It was disjoined and left much unexplained.

BRP Ze 32/420

Hmm... We have to talk about different movies. The 3D movie I saw was an animation.

This one: Beowulf - Official Movie Site: Beowulf Movie

(lots of kids on the cinema, screaming in terror...)

SGL.

hehe...yes we are talking about different movies :lol:

I loved the computer animated Beowulf- it fracking rocked!!!! The intro scene with Grendel was awsome! :thumb:

The movie we are talking about is Beowulf and Grendel.

BEOWULF and GRENDEL Official Movie Website

BRP Ze 32/420