Elementals - Protection & Healing

As I recall there is a fire demon in a pit, it's like a fire elemental and so if I hit it with a fireblade I actually heal it. There is this lich with a fire elemental that he protects with a Shield spell. I think there was also a spell that increases the damage done by a fire elemental.

How does one heal an air elemental or any elemental beside a fire elemental assume one could with a fireblade?

What's the best protection for an air elemental that is carrying you? If I have Shield on me and I am targeted and say an arrow hits me would it not damage an air elemental that it passed through to hit me?

I think the demonic thing in one of the Pavis books got me thinking about this.

If I have on 20 ENC of unenchanted iron armor 100% magic resistance and am flying is anyone able to dispel the flight spell? (say I cast it on me with extensions before I put on my armor) 

I’v always viewed an air elemental carrying a person as more of a “mount” type situation, rather than an “engulf-and-carry” type situation…

And I guess our house rule was that an elemental could be healed with the same kind of healing magics as a person, and protected by the same kinds of protection magics.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

As I recall there is a fire demon in a pit, it's like a fire elemental and so if I hit it with a fireblade I actually heal it.

Where's that from? I don't think a Fireblade would heal a fire elemental, though it makes sense that it might not damage it.

3 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

How does one heal an air elemental or any elemental beside a fire elemental assume one could with a fireblade?

Rules as written, elementals can't regain hit points until they return to the spirit world. I'd agree with Daesta's take that normal healing and protection magic works on them though. If you really want alternate sources of healing for them, maybe extended exposure to large quantities of their own element could work, but that would be difficult to do under summon and/or control time limits.

2 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

I think there was also a spell that increases the damage done by a fire elemental.

Create Wildfire does that, though it also damages the elemental. Similarly, Create Bonfire will increase the elemental's size, though not its damage.

If I have Shield on me and I am targeted and say an arrow hits me would it not damage an air elemental that it passed through to hit me?

RAW the elemental wouldn't be damaged I think, but I think it's something that each table has to figure out themselves. Personally I'd rule that if the adventurer is totally engulfed by an air elemental then they can't be hit by missiles - the missiles would hit the elemental, dealing normal damage, but be blown off course from the rider. If you're just riding it like a mount, though, then I'd just make a judgement call on which locations are being covered and rule any hit striking them as striking the elemental instead, then being blown away as above. Really powerful missiles might have an exception, but that's not something I'll speculate on right now.

If I have on 20 ENC of unenchanted iron armor 100% magic resistance and am flying is anyone able to dispel the flight spell? (say I cast it on me with extensions before I put on my armor) 

I don't think there's any human-wearable armor that adds up anywhere close to 20 ENC. And even if it did work, you're going to be about as maneuverable as a brick even with flight. The magic resistance probably would work though.

You might want to put some of these questions in the Runequest Q&A instead of on the Glorantha board.

7 hours ago, Richard S. said:

Where's that from?

Griffin Mt. p.66.

8 hours ago, Richard S. said:

I don't think there's any human-wearable armor that adds up anywhere close to 20 ENC.

Sorry, still using parts of RQ3 rules... the idea was if you have unenchanted iron it used to offer magic resistance 5% per encumbrance IIRC.

image.png.19ec8dc99420cad0613959f0cac15591.png

8 hours ago, Richard S. said:

You might want to put some of these questions in the Runequest Q&A instead of on the Glorantha board.

I think you are correct, this thread should be there. (I will try to be more mindful in the future, thanks!)