Question about Skill checks from Starter Set

Hey all,

While I've had the starter set since it came out, it has sat on my shelf since then as I haven't gotten my group to even consider playing it. 😞
That said, I finally had time recently to crack it open and refresh myself with the rules.
I've played a few one shots in 3rd and 4th editions, and my old brain mostly remembers the rules but thought I'd dig in and get myself more familiar with it again before the Players books come out.

So when I was going though Book 2 this morning I found myself confused by the following text on page 10, first paragraph right column.

"Always compare the roll against the final, modified value of the Statistic. A Skill with a value of 6, for example, receives a +5 modifier for
a final value of 11; a die result of 11 now scores a critical, while a result of 6 (normally a critical) counts as a regular success."

Where does the +5 modifier come from? Is this a reference I missed in previous texts? Or an error?
Thanks!

**edited - confounded typos!!

Edited by jhilahd

Hello @jhilahd,

I believe the +5 modifier is a hypothetical. The source is indeterminant and does not matter.

I think the phrasing is a bit off. Try this reading:

"Always compare the roll against the final, modified value of the Statistic. For example, if a Skill with a value of 6 receives a +5 modifier for a final value of 11, a die result of 11 now scores a critical, while a result of 6 (which would have been a critical without the modifier) now counts as a regular success."

Does that work for you?

Also, I hope your group turns around! Playing Pendragon is one of the best things in the world!

Edited by creativehum
  • Like 2

"But Pendragon isn’t intended to be historical, just fun.
So have fun."

-- Greg Stafford