[JBE] My First Cult, Your Thoughts?

dmccoy1693

I guess the trick would be in designing something that isn't so generic that it's bland and boring, yet at the same time so detailed that it becomes setting specific. So...maybe the background setting and mythology would have to be reasonably generic to slot in nicely, but you could go to town on some interesting spells or skills, possibly some new monsters eg you have your generic fire god , but his priests can summon some interesting elementals...which you would stat up . Maybe you have a resonably generic sea god. but some interesting watery style spells.

In game speak I suppose I'm saying your fluff might have to be pretty generic, but your crunch could be quite detailed.

I think that's the heart of the matter - if you adopt this approach, you can't go far wrong. If you think about the Cults of Glorantha, one of the things that helps to distinguish one cult from another is the availability of unique cult spells. It might also be a good idea to include a couple of unique Heroic Abilities as secret techniques taught to senior members of the faction.

Hey everyone,

I've been looking at Legend and wanted to try my hand at it. I posted my first cult on my website. Check it out and tell me what you think. Would you be interested in a book of cults that can work in any campaign setting?

Thanks in advance,

I would jump all over such a book. With a more than full-time job I have very little time for game design, any short cuts are a godsend.

Another idea is for a set of books based on historical pantheons, greek, norse, etc. They wouldn't even have to be historically accurate, the "hollywood" versions would probably be more useful anyway. ;)

Guest Vile Traveller

[...] one of the things that helps to distinguish one cult from another is the availability of unique cult spells.

I subscribe to this theory to the extent that AEON will not have 'common' spells for cults. Every cult will have its own spell list - there may be a lot of spells that are similar, but cults guard their secrets jealously (granting an associate or sub-cult use of a spell is a Big Deal). I was always rather disappointed by the relatively small number of unique spells in RQ cults, so I'd like to see more good divine magic in a Legend cults book. Spells are tricky to get right in large numbers, though.