Looking for stories from people who have run/played Kingdom and Commonwealth.

Butters

Hello,

I'm currently running K&C 1 and whilst it has despite my iffy GM abilities seems to be going fairly well but it would be handy to hear from others who have been through the K&C experience. It would be handy to see if there are any pitfalls or traps in the campaign?

I’m doing 1520 at present so it might be some time before I get round to doing it. We started in Lüneburg but the players seem to have decided on a whim to go to their sick father who was on a pilgrimage to Köln for some unspecified demeanour, thought by the players to have been the poisoning of his brother. Unfortunately, they ended up being framed for a murder of a Papal Legate in Antwerpen and are hiding out in a bordello while trying to work out who to trust in a hostile city. Apparently, being salt merchants wasn’t exciting enough. 

• Like 1

No.. but I must get it.. would you recommend it?

I've used 1520 Renaissance as the basis of a Hansa Campaign and was intrigued when my partner suggested one time stopping on the way back home in Lúneburg , when I had forced her to go to the Hansa Museum at Lúbeck. I think she must have secretly liked the 5 hour trip to the Hansa Museum, despite how many times she has dined out on that (awful extended stay'.  

It had been a longterm ambition to do a Hansa based campaign and being there just increased the ideas. So I did lots of research on Lúneburg, started the game... and apparently being a Salt Merchant, even with a penchant for 15th Century Italian poetry and visiting bordellos, is not fulfilling. Who knew?

So, at the merest hint of trouble, they decided to leave Lúneburg for Rotterdam via Hamburg by boat and down the Rhine to Kóln. 

All is not lost, I can scavenge plot seeds I've done and use them in other situations as they decide to wander off course. There current situation results in them being penniless in Antwerpen, accused of murdering a Papal Legate, on the run and between a rock and a hard place. Unable to leave Antwerpen without shoes or money and being very ill-equipped to enter a life of crime. I believe some are now hankering for the quiet life of watching Salt crystals form in heated pans. 

• Like 1

I've not read them fully but its set within the Holy Roman Empire as well but a bit later (1610) but it does have section set in Koln so it might have some further useful location information about the various place(s). I would recommend them but there is unfortunately little chance that the campaign will be finished which is unfortunate. 

So recommend YES but no rush especially as you have Renaissance 1520.

• Like 1