A Blast from the Past - Blackwatch 2385

What goes around comes around.

Forty years ago, I and a college friend wrote a science fiction game together. We were both big fans of Runequest, and our game reflected that. We got Tadashi Ehara to produce a test print run, which he pitched to several game companies - in 1985-1986. In particular, I remember Steve Jackson saying that while he liked some of our ideas, his company was about to release GURPS:Space, so they didn't need our manuscript.

Well, Ted never gave up. Over the last forty years he reworked and rewrote Blackwatch a dozen times. Then, a couple of years ago, he decided that we'd had a lot of fun with the original manuscript, and so he expanded it, hired some artists, and the game is now finally out via DriveThruRPG: https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/458659/blackwatch-2385

I can't claim any credit for the update - but it's fun to see the game I helped write get in print. Check it out if you want to see a 'first try' from some gamers with no experience but a lot of enthusiasm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2024 at 12:05 PM, pachristian said:

What goes around comes around.

Forty years ago, I and a college friend wrote a science fiction game together. We were both big fans of Runequest, and our game reflected that. We got Tadashi Ehara to produce a test print run, which he pitched to several game companies - in 1985-1986. In particular, I remember Steve Jackson saying that while he liked some of our ideas, his company was about to release GURPS:Space, so they didn't need our manuscript.

Well, Ted never gave up. Over the last forty years he reworked and rewrote Blackwatch a dozen times. Then, a couple of years ago, he decided that we'd had a lot of fun with the original manuscript, and so he expanded it, hired some artists, and the game is now finally out via DriveThruRPG: https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/458659/blackwatch-2385

I can't claim any credit for the update - but it's fun to see the game I helped write get in print. Check it out if you want to see a 'first try' from some gamers with no experience but a lot of enthusiasm.

Hey, it's nice to see one of the 'dumb ideas' of your youth pan out. GRATZ!

• Like 1