Hexcrawl rules and ideas.

So I really want to run a hexcrawl with brp as the basis for the rules. I have posted a few times with elements like a calander and random encounter table that I have put together.

My question is this, are there any hexcrawl resources that people recommend  that fit well with the brp ruleset? does anyone have any advice or tips for running it? I am trying to compile a few different things to help me create a single document for reference for running the sandbox.

Also, if I finish this document, would anyone be interested in having a look at it and giving some feedback? I really like the idea of publishing it for others to use.

Some of it is put together but the final document will basically have a solid framework for running a hexcrawl sandbox, a lot of tables. Very little fluff, mostly function.

Thats the dream anyway.

Edited by Gwyndolin

Not straight-up BRP, but BRP-adjacent -- there are some great hexcrawl rules in the Monster Island supplement for Mythras, A Bird in the Hand.  I haven't played them out myself, but they're widely hailed as portable outside of the scenarios in which they're presented.

https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/341555/A-Bird-in-the-Hand

It's discussed in brief along with others' ideas for hexcrawling in Mythras here:

!i!

• Like 1

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green

9 minutes ago, Ian Absentia said:

Not straight-up BRP, but BRP-adjacent -- there are some great hexcrawl rules in the Monster Island supplement for Mythras, A Bird in the Hand.  I haven't played them out myself, but they're widely hailed as portable outside of the scenarios in which they're presented.

https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/341555/A-Bird-in-the-Hand

It's discussed in brief along with others' ideas for hexcrawling in Mythras here:

!i!

Oh this is very helpful. hank you very much 😄

If you're not familiar with "hex flowers," it's a great mechanism for "random, but sensible" sorts of randomization for stuff like terrain, weather, NPC attitudes, etc etc etc.

• Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, g33k said:

If you're not familiar with "hex flowers," it's a great mechanism for "random, but sensible" sorts of randomization for stuff like terrain, weather, NPC attitudes, etc etc etc.

I have found a few that I really like.

https://goblinshenchman.wordpress.com/2019/06/03/hex-power-flower-weather/

This for example helped me generate weather for my calender so that I dont have to worry about it on the fly.

Edited by Gwyndolin
  • Helpful 1