How to do actions like: Intimidate and sleight of hand

joen

Posted (edited)

Hi!

I recently started running a campaign with the Elric!/Stormbringer 5th and realized that I kind of miss some things from a few years of playing Call of Cthulhu. The skills: Intimidate and sleight of hand.

One of the PCs is a very menacing barbarian and sometimes he want to intimate people to get information. Another PC is thief who sometimes want to steal stuff from NPC's pockets or pouches without being noticed.

So far I've asked the players to roll a APP characteristics roll (Charisma) and DEX roll to perform tasks like pick-pocketing and sleight of hand-actions.

I know I can just add new skills to the character sheet, but I would like to know how the system is intended to handle these action, since there is no mention of intimidation or pick-pocketing in the rulebook, and they both are quite popular actions to perform in a TTRPG.

I would would love to hear how you solve this problem in your games.

Edited by joen

I have mostly played 4th ed. so I had not noticed the skill list for 5th ed. missing those. I would probably add those back in. Otherwise, I guess a Fast Talk is the closest to Intimidate, with a bonus for suitable attributes or maybe skill in Brawl.

• joen changed the title to How to do actions like: Intimidate and sleight of hand
On 5/12/2024 at 10:40 PM, joen said:

Hi!

I recently started running a campaign with the Elric!/Stormbringer 5th and realized that I kind of miss some things from a few years of playing Call of Cthulhu. The skills: Intimidate and sleight of hand.

One of the PCs is a very menacing barbarian and sometimes he want to intimate people to get information. Another PC is thief who sometimes want to steal stuff from NPC's pockets or pouches without being noticed.

So far I've asked the players to roll a APP characteristics roll (Charisma) and DEX roll to perform tasks like pick-pocketing and sleight of hand-actions.

I know I can just add new skills to the character sheet, but I would like to know how the system is intended to handle these action, since there is no mention of intimidation or pick-pocketing in the rulebook, and they both are quite popular actions to perform in a TTRPG.

I would would love to hear how you solve this problem in your games.

In SB5 Fast Talk is the "one to one" communication Skill (where as Oratory is the "one to many"), and an adventurer gets a 10 point bonus for a successful Charm (APP x 5) roll - so from Intimidation for the menacing Barbarian I'd use Fast Talk with a bonus form a successful STR x 5 or SIZ x 5 (or APP x 5 - pick the most appropriate - small, non-athletic looking people can with the right attitude project a LOT of menace and threat...) As pointed out, in SB 5 sleight of hand is explicitly a specialization / subset of Craft and explicitly covers picking pockets / purse cutting.