How to differentiate the different locks?

I was thinking to myself, how to differentiate the different locks more, because I don't see any significant differences between them, especially wheellocks and flintlocks which seem to be the same, except for price.

Has someone already made some homebrew rules for that purpose?

Thanks in advance!

4 hours ago, Nokaion said:

I was thinking to myself, how to differentiate the different locks more, because I don't see any significant differences between them, especially wheellocks and flintlocks which seem to be the same, except for price.

Has someone already made some homebrew rules for that purpose?

Thanks in advance!

The thing to know about wheel locks is that they are more expensive, cooler looking and in operation, and fail more often (more parts, more finicky spring, etc)! They do take a bit longer to load as you have to wind a spring (though not far) rather than simply cocking a hammer. Still a "single shot then grab your melee weapon" item unless you are far enough back or in decent cover.

That is my take based on what I've read and watched on the subject. 

SDLeary

9 hours ago, SDLeary said:

The thing to know about wheel locks is that they are more expensive, cooler looking and in operation, and fail more often (more parts, more finicky spring, etc)! They do take a bit longer to load as you have to wind a spring (though not far) rather than simply cocking a hammer. Still a "single shot then grab your melee weapon" item unless you are far enough back or in decent cover.

That is my take based on what I've read and watched on the subject. 

SDLeary

Yeah, I know, but I don't think that anyone (ingame ofc) would buy a gun that operates worse and is more expensive, but still does the exact same damage as match- and flintlocks.

2 hours ago, Nokaion said:

Yeah, I know, but I don't think that anyone (ingame ofc) would buy a gun that operates worse and is more expensive, but still does the exact same damage as match- and flintlocks.

When looked at from today, that might look correct. You have to remember though that the Wheellock came first... it was THE advancement over matchlocks (c.1500?). It had that very real advantage of not requiring fiddling with lit match-cord, nor the preparation that entailed, especially in poor weather. Flintlocks were still several steps, and about a hundred years on.

In the context of Renaissance, the Wheellock could be a family heirloom, though all three ignition methods exited in parallel for some time.

Think about today though. How much of what people buy today is because it looks cool or is "new". Look at the drek (being novelties and oddities) sold on Amazon and Temu... and people are buying it for whatever reasons. Never underestimate the ability of humans to spend wealth on drek!

SDLeary

The advantage of the Wheellock over the Matchlock is the ability to operate in wet or damp weather and conditions, not have a lit match that gives away intent, smells, and is visible due to the glow and is a hazard around gunpowder.  The Wheellock can be concealed, even when primed, in cloaks or clothes and thus used for assassination or surprise. 

Disadvantages are that the mechanism of the Wheellock is complex and costly to make, prone to malfunction if not maintained by a master gunsmith. 

The key point is that it needs maintenance. I would just allow that the Wheellock is easily superior but unless it's maintained there is an increasing chance of malfunction if it is not serviced regularly. What corresponds to regular service and what level of skill is a moot point. I'd tend towards easy book-keeping these days so would increase malfunction by 5% per week if not maintained. So cost is an issue  to keep it in top notch. With both guns, powder needs to be kept dry and those that aren't careful will definitely experience a non-event. I would see the issue with the Wheellock, not that it's operation is worse, its just more expensive and requires an ongoing service cost.

The Flintlock didn't appear until the late 17th century and was certainly cheaper to produce and simpler to use. 

My experience of Wheellock and Flintlocks in play is limited. They've been used for assassination (a GMC using it) and from ambush. Both were very successful and when fired indoors also created an impressive smoke screen in which no one knew what was happening, aiding confusion and escape. 

When fired at close range it was lethal and generally caused a major wound. There is no difference in damage for any of the different weapons. 

• Like 3