The state of Classic Fantasy

Jigawatts

Hey folks, Classic Fantasy is ultimately what brought me to Mythras, I own the book and a few of the modules. My first love was D&D and I love trying out alternate takes on D&D and D&D in other systems, for instance I also own the Dungeon Fantasy RPG powered by GURPS. Anyway, it has been many years since the original Classic Fantasy book was released, with the eluding to an upcoming "Unearthed Companion" that would complete the game. Since then it released the Expert Set that was supposed to be a short term solution until the Unearthed Companion released, and then later the Imperative product, which took a sampling of what already existed and combined it with core rules to provide a standalone experience.

My question ultimately is, what is the state of Classic Fantasy? Will the Unearthed Companion ever see the light or day? Will it all be retooled into something along the lines of a Classic Fantasy Core Rulebook of sorts that adds what was to be the Unearthed Companion along with the core rules of Mythras into a full standalone Classic Fantasy product? Or is what we have likely all there will ever be to have and it will live as a not-quite-finished product line?

• Like 1

There was a preview of the Unearth Companion in the most recent newsletter, which you can read https://mailchi.mp/f6b696392419/ready-to-start-scheming-book-of-schemes-is-live-6737779?e=887e6a7ba0 there is a sign up link at the bottom as well, so you won't miss the updates. 

as it is in layout, "soon" is the operative word. It's largely in a completely state. 

• Like 2

Unearthed Companion is finished, art complete, laid-out, and currently going through proofing and indexing. Given the size of this book (200+ pages), that takes some time, but it will be out this year.

After that: more scenarios and some expansions for the default world, so there is plenty to come.

• Like 6

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/9/2024 at 9:21 PM, Solus-Kathul said:

Wow! Good news 😀
I´ve found some older Posts by Rod at your own Forum. Do you guys have some information about the content for us?
I´m very interested in new playable Races.

I would suggest

1. subscribing to the newsletter - once a month, will have the "news from the source" content. If there are contests and discounts, they will for sure be in this.
  2. following them on facebook and/or twitter. twice a month posts (off weeks from the newsletter) with news and new art. Things like "a table of contents" will almost certainly make it here.
  3. hopping on the discord (https://discord.gg/rDH4u7Wkwm), which normally gets the info and has a lot of good discussion. if you miss it, someone will know about it and be able to give you info.
  • Helpful 1