Hi newbie here some rps please

gleek11

Hi and welcome aboard.

Are you a newbie to roleplaying or new to BRP?

As for tips, the first thig to do is ignore any advice and play how it suits you.

If you want concrete tips for roleplaying:

1. Rules are just guidelines - use them or ignore them at will

2. It's only a game - play it for enjoyment

3. Use the roleplaying style that suits you - some people are into characteristations, others are competitive, others like building a character, others like powergaming - all are OK as long as the end result is fun

4. Ignore books on how to roleplay, the theory of roleplaying and so on - they are pretty much a waste of time, in my opinion

5. Try and get a game to play in - playing is far better than just reading about it or thinking about it

If you want concrete tips for BRP:

1. Use rules from other D100-style games (RuneQuest, Legend, OpenQuest) to enhance your game

2. BRP is a toolkit - if you want to play in a particular genre you need to work out whcih rules suits you and suit the genre and which don't.

3. If you don;t like a rule then don't use it

4. If you want to modify a rule then modify it

5. If you want to add a new rule then add it

6. Rules should never get in the way of the game - nothing kills a game like arguing for an hour over the interpretation of a rule

Above all - play to have fun.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Howdy Gleek11, welcome!

From your profile I take it you are a free form roleplayer? Have you ever had a change to sit down with to play a more formalized game with rules and dice? It's a great deal of fun.

There are a mindblowingly large amount of rules systems out there. The system that this website focuses on has been around in one form or another since 1978. A stripped down and free version of the rules can be found here in our downloads area.

70/420

wait is this site a game than actual roleplays

I'm not sure what you mean.

This site is largely a discussion forum for games published with a specific rules set, that being BRP. The original publisher of the system is Chaosium, but other companies have now adopted the game rules for their products as well.

We talk about about upcoming products, what we are doing in our current games, rules variation ideas, that sort of thing. We currently don't have a play by post forum because I don't think there's been much of a push to set one up. If one were set up, it would likely be centered on BRP and it's derivatives as the ruleset.

As a side note, and I feel rather hypocritical saying this as I'm not a shining example of clear text, you'll find that a nod towards grammar and punctuation will both help in the free flow of ideas in this murky medium of finger typing as well as win you the hearts and minds of your fellow gamers. :D

70/420

Thanks for the offer, boss. I do appreciate it, but I've sworn off play by posts for the time being. I find whenever I participate in a game online, life gets complicated and I either am way to slow in posting or drift off all together. These days I'm strictly tabletop.

70/420