Pendragon Map: doubts

I kind of like the few parts of the 6th edition Pendragon Map which have been thus far published.

I also appreciate how both "old" and "new" names were kept.

On the back of Book III of the starter set it is possible to see Anglia (old Caerwent): Brecklands are on the eastern part, while Broadlands are west.

In Blood & Lust p.77 it was the opposite: Broadlands are one the eastern side and Brecklands are on the west.

Which one is correct?

Edited by Luca Cherstich

32 minutes ago, mandrill_one said:

In modern day's Norfolk, Breckland is a western district, while Broadland is (part of) the eastern zone.

Consequently, that's another correction to be done on the Starter Set!

Let's hope they fix the labels before publishing the whole map (maybe in the future GM pack or GM book?).

23 hours ago, Luca Cherstich said:

I kind of like the few parts of the 6th edition Pendragon Map which have been thus far published

I really like the more zoomed-in details in the partial views (both on the back of the different Starter Set volumes and in some of the adventure descriptions), but I especially like the complete map of ‘Britain in the Time of Arthur Pendragon’ (with parts of Ireland and France) that is on page 3 of the Starter Set rules book.

However, it is really frustrating that we only have this one low-res version of the complete map to use whenever a campaign takes the Player-Knights outside the regions that have zoomed-in versions available. Buying the Starter Set pack on Roll20 gives you access to a slightly higher-resolution version, but it can only be used on that platform (with all its limitations, including for zooming).

I had hoped there would be a higher-res version of the ‘Britain in the Time of Arthur Pendragon’ map bundled with the PDF of the Core Rulebook, but instead it includes only a much less attractive (and less useful) ’Pendragon Player’s Map’ on page 36, which even uses out of date naming conventions (e.g. Chichester instead of Noviomagus, which is the name used in the Starter Set map). 

I suppose that this confirms the idea that the Core Rulebook is actually just a Player’s Handbook, but it is still disappointing to think that we may have a long wait ahead of us before we get a better map bundled with a future GM handbook.

A specific example: I am running a 6e campaign that mixes the Starter Set with my own material and with other published adventurers, and decided to include the Adventure of the Great Hunt – which centres on the Dragon of Berwyn menacing Sir Ector’s estates in Cambria – as an interlude before the Battle of Carlion. Having relocated Guenever’s Panther to Carohaise (since Camelot doesn’t yet exist and she is not yet Arthur’s Queen), it was very frustrating not to be able to give the players a decent picture of the area through which they needed to travel between Berwyn and Carohaise because Cambria happens not to be one of the parts of Britain that has a higher-res map included on the rear cover of a Starter Set volume.

Given that we don’t know how long we are going to have to wait for the GM handbook (or even whether the full map will be included in that or in the next version of the GPK), would it be too much to ask for Chaosium to make a high-resolution PDF of the ‘Britain in the Time of Arthur Pendragon’ map available as a downloadable resource like the 6e character sheets?

• Like 1