The Hill of Gold

Martin

As I posted in FB: Can he just open the door and be there? Generally I'd say no. All the participants in my view have some step to take to go there. Orlanth might see a wandering light in the distance or the glint of light from atop a hill and say to his companions 'We will go there and see what it is and prove ourselves'.

If you think about the Orlanth quest, then there will likely be some "report" of a moving Light - either a Son of Yelm on a journey or a reflection that indicates Inora has claimed a Hilltop. This is in line with Vingkot's fights against DH. So there should be an Arming of Orlanth, probably upon a Hilltop of his own; then the March of the Winds - Orlanth summons his companions with thunder or a horn call; and then the confrontation with Yelmalio before the encounters with Inora and Zorak Zoran. 

Obviously a given quest might just be a piece of the whole Hill of Gold. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I replied to this on Facebook but it is worth replying here as well.

6 hours ago, Martin said:

In the Other Side can a Hero travel from Orlanth's Hall directly to the Hill of Gold? or do they have to visit another locale(s) first?

Maybe, it depends on myths.

Orlanth's Ram, or Orlanth the Ram, may have jumped to the Hill of Gold, after all, it is a sacred site to Orlanth. That might open up a Magic Road to the Hill of Gold.

Mastakos might have taken Orlanth to the Hill of Gold, in which case it could be possible to travel there from Orlanth's Hall.

If you like magical doors, then there might be a door that opens in Orlanth's Hall and people can step through it at the Hill of Gold.

In any case, Orlanth at the Hill of Gold is such a strong myth that is re-enacted multiple times, that Orlanthi at the Hill of Gold are likely to meet a Yelmalian, a Zorak Zorani, and an Inoran.

Edited by soltakss
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

1 hour ago, soltakss said:

If you like magical doors, then there might be a door that opens in Orlanth's Hall and people can step through it at the Hill of Gold.

This works if it is the start of a story, but then I'd generally argue that the Hill of Gold and the combatants are part of the journey itself (the Guardians one must pass) and not the Core of whatever that myth or story is from Orlanth's perspective.

• Like 2