The Company. Burst fire rules?

musdad

I've purchased the pdf yesterday. I love the setting and the adaptation for the OQ rules but I don't understand the abcense of burst fire (three to five rounds fire) rules.

This is a usual fire mode so why didn't you include it?

By the way, perhaps I'm wrong but with some submachineguns you can shoot 8 times (snap shots) in a round of 5 seconds, is that really possible (with any accuracy I mean)? This will need 8 dice rolls won't it be better to have the burst fire rule for this situation?

Thanks for your time and excellent work.

I've purchased the pdf yesterday. I love the setting and the adaptation for the OQ rules but I don't understand the abcense of burst fire (three to five rounds fire) rules.

This is a usual fire mode so why didn't you include it?

By the way, perhaps I'm wrong but with some submachineguns you can shoot 8 times (snap shots) in a round of 5 seconds, is that really possible (with any accuracy I mean)? This will need 8 dice rolls won't it be better to have the burst fire rule for this situation?

Thanks for your time and excellent work.

Yup there is no selective fire mode in The Company. I did spec up the idea, but I had real problems with it as even when firing a gun in say 3 end bursts you can't guarantee that all three would hit the target, which is why I opted for multi roles per round. So yes you can fire up to 8 spr but you will still need to see how many hit.

It is just one of those things I guess.

RIK KM

I see your point, you can't know how many round hit your objective but It is not the same situation with the automatic fire?

The Company have rules (optional) for Fully Automatic Fire. You empty the clip into your objective and then you roll a dice to see how many bullets hit.

I must say that in my opinion this rule with the supressive fire one are the best representation of automatic fire that i've seen in a game because it do not increase the chances to hit a single objective (and you waste a lot of ammo for more damage) and allows you to negate an area (again a lot of ammo expend for a real effect)

Taking this into account don´t you think that a burst of 3 or 5 bullets can be represented with a similar procedure?

I'm in no way trying to disturb your superb work, but in a Rpg that represent the "real combat" as The Company do, the posibility of anybody shooting 8 times in a round with the same accurancy in every shoot seem strange.

PD: I want to say too that the m-16 should be able to shoot 3 times in a round because it can in the real world but I do not want to be the objective of a hit squad falling from an Osprey...

I see your point, you can't know how many round hit your objective but It is not the same situation with the automatic fire?

The Company have rules (optional) for Fully Automatic Fire. You empty the clip into your objective and then you roll a dice to see how many bullets hit.

Well that is essentially the pray and spray effect coming to the fore I guess. You are just trying to lay down as much fire as possible withou really caring over hitting anything. In the case of selective fire, you are attempting to hit something so there is an increased level of skill being exhibited, as you need to smoohly control the whole shot process as the weapon cycles underneath you - dealing with vibration, climb etc...

However I can see a number of minor rules tweaks which may help in this case.

Option #1 Single roll to hit but fired at a penalty. Not my preferred option really, as given the OQ penalty structure you be firing at a -25% penalty to hit.

Option #2 Single roll to hit but you then make a roll on the appropriate die number to see how many hit. e.g: 3 shot - d3 etc...

Option #3 Single roll to hit and they all hit.

Hope the above helps.

Rik-KM

Ok I prefer de Option #2

By the way I´ve read about rapid semiautomatic fire (FM3-22.9 Chapter 7 Advanced Rifle Marksmanship (Phase IV of Basic Rifle Marksmanship)) and perhaps it fits into de printed rules.

Only one more question, Why the -25% penalty when the attacker shoots from the prone position?

I thought that prone position was the easiest one and the more stable too....

Edited by musdad

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like you spotted a mistake. It should read +25%.

Rik KM

I wondered about that too and thought maybe you meant when the attacker is lying on their back! You can shoot like that (I've done it) but you have to be damn careful about your feet (hence the minus 25%). :-)

132/420