My players love this game

Charles Green

This weekend, I finished up my "pitch" game of Magic World; character creation, 4 sessions spent defending Lashingport (the big cosmopolitan trade city) from invading orc pirates and their Fey allies.

I had only meant to have a test run, since I am technically poaching another GM's group. However, once I announced that we had done what I had planned, and could transition back to the GM's game, none of the players (even the other GM) wanted to. They like their characters, the system, and the setting.

One thing I've noticed is that all of the characters are distinct, and have their own rules sub-systems they interact with. One sorcerer is building a Magician's Staff, and another is trying to decide between enchanting a suit of armour using the Demon Rules from Advanced sorcery, or creating a familiar.

They've contributed setting elements, and constantly suggest good plot hooks. And they're usually at the table, ready to play, before I am.

The group/game/GM combination seems to really work out. I feel like I can run this thing until the wheels fall off.

I posted this list of PCs on RPG.net, but I thought people here might like to see it too:

The group's collective purpose is as a team of adventuring archeologists associated with a player-designed university in Lashingport. They travel the world, looting stores of lore and Enchantments for personal and University use. The team is:

1. Villenzander the Wizard: I let this player use the Magic Spells power set from BRP, because he wanted to have some blasty magic, which Sorcerer doesn't really do. He's our go-to guy for knowledge checks. He's also got strong ties to the University.

2. Grimantheir: One of the sorcerers is a half-elf hunter who wants to become a member of the Wild Hunt. he specializes in tracking and killing Fey creatures. He provides wilderness support when the team is away from civilization.

3. Adalan: Wandering buddhist monk and sword-play teacher. He's looking to establish a school in Lashingport. Has ninjas tracking him for unknown purposes. His skill with the blade is astonishing, and he and Sir Zagmuz (below) provide muscle.

4. Kiara: Merchant metal- and jewelry-smith from Lashingport. Has social contacts, and can evaluate non-magical items, gemstones, and the like.

5. Sir Zagmuz: An Orc Knight working for House Drum. Current wielder of the Greatsword of St. Almus, which we're expressing as a normal sword that lets him use a Philosophy from the Philosophical Engine.

Edited by Charles Green

I let this player use the Magic Spells power set from BRP, because he wanted to have some blasty magic, which Sorcerer doesn't really do.

I plan on doing this as well. Have you seen the work done on the Magic system in Classic Fantasy? Rod has gone a long way in broadening the range of abilities that Magic brings to the table.

70/420

I can't wait until my comments on this game can be something more than "I can't wait to get it into my grubby little paws."

I'm excited to read a bit more about the fey in the book. Really though, just waiting for 2013.

Soon! Nick's putting in final edits as we speak! :D

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.