Atomik Generic supplements...

Sigmund

Sorry if it strikes you as stealth advertising. It's not, that just happens to be where I got my Atomik crap and I like to provide links so folks who might not be familiar with what I'm talking about will be up to speed. The lack of BRP notes is the reason for the thread, to be honest.

1) I LOVE these supplements. Magic is my favorite, it's a really great supplement.

2) I thought there was a d100 table in the add on book that shows how to do bonuses/penalties for % based game.

No books on me at the moment. I will pop back on tonight and provide my thoughts on conversion after a look.

Trentin C Bergeron

Bard, Creative, & RPG Enthusiast

1) I LOVE these supplements. Magic is my favorite, it's a really great supplement.

2) I thought there was a d100 table in the add on book that shows how to do bonuses/penalties for % based game.

No books on me at the moment. I will pop back on tonight and provide my thoughts on conversion after a look.

There are indeed tables for both margins of success and modifiers for using a d100 scale in A. Magick, but I'm curious about how folks might approach modeling effects (not just for spells either, but for alien abilities and cyberware as well), adding or adapting skills, using "special traits", adapting damage, "defense levels", etc...

Thanks for weighing in :) Look forward to your thoughts in the stuff.

Some parts of those books are just entirely too crunchy. For example, I worked up an exotic alien using Atomic Alienz, and after the whole experience I decided I could have spent my time more profitably just listing abilities and figuring out the mechanics for each. I've perused the others, and for example the Psioniks (sigh) book started off with the assumption that telepathic strength/range depended on distance ... but what if it doesn't? Several psychic "experiments" found distance wasn't a factor (because subjects were cheating and experimenters were biased, but that's another issue). To use their book the way I wanted I'd have to define "distance" in another way and figure out how that altered their mechanics ... which, again, seemed like more work than it's worth.

There's some interesting stuff in those supplements, and they're a fertile ground for ideas. For my purposes, though, I can't simply convert Atomik units to BRP units and go.

Frank

"Welcome to the hottest and fastest-growing hobby of, er, 1977." -- The Laundry RPG

I've got them and really rather like them. Haven't converted anything over but have used lots of ideas......oddly given the last post I think the psionics stuff might be the easiest to convert. There are conversion notes in all of them ( I bought the print version with all the supplements included )

Here's my ideas (in the general format of the Atomik Add-On booklet conversion);

Attributes: (see Success Checks below). You know what BRP attributes are. :-)

Value Level: If using super powers in BRP, 1VL = 1 Character point.

Special Traits: You can use the super rules from BRP and just assign a point value based on the type of game you’re running. You can start with normal or you can start characters out with a small number, like 10 Budget points. Also, this opens up character failings which can provide some nifty roleplaying opportunities. Be sure to adhere to limits set forth in BRP. I would tailor a list of stuff from Atomik and BRP that is open for my setting (everything else would be restricted).

Success Checks: Atomik = BRP; ATT = Skill, DEF = Skill, DEX = Agility roll or skill, INT = Idea roll or Know roll or skill, WILL = Sanity roll or Luck roll or skill, STR = Effort Roll or Skill, END = Stamina roll or skill, SOC = Charisma roll or skill.

Die System: d100 (%) roll under.

Difficulty: Use the optional weighted scale for modifiers in the Atomik Add On booklet. Each -1 or +1 listed in Atomik = +10% or -10% circumstantial modifier in BRP.

Damage Levels: I would keep the 1d6 per DL (this matches spells in BRP). You can use SL if you like but I would ignore BL.

Defense Levels: 1 Defense Level = 3 points of armor or randomly 1d6 points of armor.

Rounds and Turns: 2 Atomik rounds (10 seconds) = 1 BRP turn (12 seconds) (approximately)

Here’s how I would do Atomik magic for BRP;

Levels of Ordainment or Initiation: These would work like allegiance. Create a Skill for each magic system. For each 10% in the skill, the character has 1 level of ordainment or initiation in the group that “teaches” it. Pick schools that can be used with these methods. I would allow a bonus to this skill based on POW and INT. Combine this with cults from Runequest and you have some nifty ideas!

The rules in Atomik go from there. :-)

Happy Adventuring!

Trentin C Bergeron

Bard, Creative, & RPG Enthusiast

Thanks for the info so far. Dang trechriron, I hadn't thought of using Allegiance, dunno why not. I did think of using the Super options for adapting, but wanted to get other opinions on it. They seem like, in low-power mode, they would work for adapting the cyber pretty well. I like viewing the Atomik supps as a frame-work, but yeah they are pretty crunchy. That works, IMO, for BRP though. I hve other games like BASH or BBF that I can use for more rules-light games. I also have HERO 5 and 6 if I need to go all "Mr. Universe" with the rules, which in my middle age is starting to be less and less often. BRP is about perfect for me, but I'd really like to try to adapt these Atomik supps to expand my D100 option, they just kinda over-whelm me a bit sometimes the way they're written, and with a family, full-time job, and several college classes currently taking up my time, I can't sit down very often and just deconstruct and re-build them BRP-style. I have ya'all for that :D I think your help, so far, is pure gold trech, thanks again. I'll try to write out more thoughts and maybe what I end up doing with these once I have time to sit down and work some stuff out. In the meantime, if any of ya'all have more thoughts/experiences/ideas/comments/complaints/etc please keep 'em comin :) I'm eventually going to have to try to wittle these down to where a (very smart) 10 year old who I'm introducing to RPGing can understand them.