Question for Jason Durall: Handling vs. Maneuvering

Charles Green

I'm currently looking at the Vehicular Chase rules from the Zero ed. of the book for Fractured Hopes, and I'm seeing something that I'm not sure I fully understand.

What's the distinction between Handling and Maneuvering as it applies to vehicles? Based on the descriptions, they seem to cover the same thing; a modifier to the pilot's skill.

Is the distinction that Handling applies to all Piloting skill tests, while Maneuvering only applies to attempts at making one of the Maneuvers listed in the book (i.e. Bootlegger Turns and such)? Or am I looking at it wrong?

Someone asked this before in the Types, erratas thread. Jasons, response was:

It's a holdover from the Call of Cthulhu vehicular system, and one I'm streamlining (into one attribute instead of two).

I'll be posting some form of errata after every last scrap of edits are submitted and integrated into the manuscript.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

I'm currently looking at the Vehicular Chase rules from the Zero ed. of the book for Fractured Hopes, and I'm seeing something that I'm not sure I fully understand.

What's the distinction between Handling and Maneuvering as it applies to vehicles? Based on the descriptions, they seem to cover the same thing; a modifier to the pilot's skill.

Is the distinction that Handling applies to all Piloting skill tests, while Maneuvering only applies to attempts at making one of the Maneuvers listed in the book (i.e. Bootlegger Turns and such)? Or am I looking at it wrong?

No, the info is legacy and I'm clarifying it in the edits I'm giving Charlie.

The two values are being conflated into one, a straight percentage modifier for the appropriate Drive/Pilot skill. It'll be called Handling.

No, the info is legacy and I'm clarifying it in the edits I'm giving Charlie.

The two values are being conflated into one, a straight percentage modifier for the appropriate Drive/Pilot skill. It'll be called Handling.

Are the Handling values going to be similar to the old Handling numbers or Maneuver numbers? In other worlds will a sports car be a +14% or a +5%?Just to get a ballpark figure.

Are the Handling values going to be similar to the old Handling numbers or Maneuver numbers? In other worlds will a sports car be a +14% or a +5%?Just to get a ballpark figure.

My notes have:

- the word "Maneuvering" crossed out

- "Handling" circled with an arrow pointing to where "Maneuvering" was

- the "Handling" column crossed out entirely

I will confess to having brought over the Call of Cthulhu chase system as-was, and during my big edit realized that there was no real use for the existing "Handling" values.

My notes have:

- the word "Maneuvering" crossed out

- "Handling" circled with an arrow pointing to where "Maneuvering" was

- the "Handling" column crossed out entirely

I will confess to having brought over the Call of Cthulhu chase system as-was, and during my big edit realized that there was no real use for the existing "Handling" values.

Ah. Thanks. That makes it easy to work with zero. :D