Shores of Korantia: Preview

lawrence.whitaker

At http://www.thedesignmechanism.com/news.php you will find a 9-page sneak preview of 'Shores of Korantia', the latest RuneQuest release that will be available in early May. Written by Jonathan Drake, 'Shores of Korantia' describes the Korantine city states of Thennla, the world first introduced in 'Age of Treason: The Iron Simulacrum'. The book details Korantine life, the cities, political and religious structures, cults, magic, and much more - including rules for sea-faring and naval combat. The book rounds-out out with three scenarios: 'Varoteg's Rascals', 'The House of Valsus' and 'Prishad's Daughter', which can be run together as a campaign.

More news on pre-orders will be released when the book goes to print.

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

I missed out on the previous release of 'Age of Treason: The Iron Simulacrum,' but the setting got great reviews and sounds simply excellent for gritty swords and sorcery (just my kind of setting). I am glad to see that the setting has new life, especially via RQ6. I think the city book with adventures is a great idea, but I would like to get my hands on the overall setting, and I was wondering how this would work as a stand-alone or intro to the setting, and if there are further RQ6 plans for the Age of Treason?

I missed out on the previous release of 'Age of Treason: The Iron Simulacrum,' but the setting got great reviews and sounds simply excellent for gritty swords and sorcery (just my kind of setting). I am glad to see that the setting has new life, especially via RQ6. I think the city book with adventures is a great idea, but I would like to get my hands on the overall setting, and I was wondering how this would work as a stand-alone or intro to the setting, and if there are further RQ6 plans for the Age of Treason?

Hello Professor

Shores of Korantia actually describes more of the world than does the original AoT book. There is a (Korantine) city offered up with some detail, but this is a jumping off point for the adventures chapter and can lead to city-based, wilderness or sea-borne adventures, according to where you want to take the action or your players want to go. And there is a full run-down of Korantine culture, so you can pick any of some 40 cities to be your starting point or the point of origin for the PCs. Character Creation includes rules for many foreign cultures too. So where Age of Treason was very much about running characters born and bred in the Taskan Empire, SoK provides a much broader range of options, and expects your adventurers to take the leap into distant exotic lands at some point (hence the ship rules, and an easy link to Monster Island).

Shores will not repeat all the Taskan Empire background and adventures in the Age of Treason books - the intention is to revised and repackage all of that for RQ6 in coming months and I am doing that preparation work already in anticipation!

Thank you for dropping in to answer my question! Very kind of you. It sounds like the book will fit the bill perfectly with the setting included, a starting point (the city of Korantine), and adventures to get the ball rolling. I guess the title threw me off a little bit (not a criticism) as it only suggests a localized setting. From what I have read, "Age of Treason" seemed a great concept for a setting, visceral and real, with enough of the fantastic to keep things interesting. I am a big fan of Hyboria and mythological settings, which are quasi-historical with weirdness. It may not be a perfect analog, but the vein seems similar. Magic and fantasy seems to have greater impact in my mind when it is placed into a believable context. I got that vibe from reviews of Age of Treason but have been unable to obtain a copy. Anyway, I am very glad that the general setting will be included. All that said, I rarely buy settings and generally prefer RPG products that are immediately usable at the table, and it sounds like the city, adventures, and ship rules will fill that role nicely.