A Question About Magic World

Othertim

Hello everyone.  I'm brand new to Magic World and BRP in general but I'm loving what I'm seeing so far.  I've been playing RQ6, Mythic Britain, and soon Luther Arkwright so I wanted to see what the BRP line holds.  What would you say personally is the main difference between Magic World and standard BRP that draws you to the game?  What is different between the two in general?  I'm asking because I haven't finished reading the whole book but I was wanting to find things to key in on.  When I run a fantasy game in the future I will definitely use things from the Advanced Sorcery book.  That's amazing so far.  Thanks in advance for the replies and have a great rest of the week.  

I cannot answer the question as I have never compared the BGB to Magic World. Rather I learned Magic World first and only consult the BGB when I need more...

For me Magic World was easier to get into because it represents only what you need to know to run a Magic World or Stormbringer type game. If I had used the BGB I would have had to do much more reading and then made a lot more decisions as to which rules to use and which to not use. I guess that's the difference between a complete game with setting (Magic World) versus a generic tool kit approach (BGB).

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

On 15 December 2015 at 10:13 PM, Othertim said:

Hello everyone.  I'm brand new to Magic World and BRP in general but I'm loving what I'm seeing so far.  I've been playing RQ6, Mythic Britain, and soon Luther Arkwright so I wanted to see what the BRP line holds.  What would you say personally is the main difference between Magic World and standard BRP that draws you to the game?  What is different between the two in general?  I'm asking because I haven't finished reading the whole book but I was wanting to find things to key in on.  When I run a fantasy game in the future I will definitely use things from the Advanced Sorcery book.  That's amazing so far.  Thanks in advance for the replies and have a great rest of the week.  

Magic World is a concise, complete "fantasy" (as in, Sword and Sorcery) game. It contains everything a GM needs to run a game in any Sword and Sorcery / "Fantasy" setting of their choice or creation - magic, creatures, enchanted items, characters all in one book. IT's also a relatively "light" implementation of BRP that plays very fast, is easy to understand and stat things for.

The BRP "Big Gold Book" is a tool kit - by picking the right options you can get something very close to MW, but there is then a LOT of the BGB you are not using / had to wade through to get to that sub set. Magic World also introduces some small, but IMO very elegant, refinements to character generation (cultures, skill assignment in predefined blocks as the default).

As I'd been a playtester for Jason on the BGB and helped Ben by commenting on the Magic World manuscript, I also put a LOT of time in to trying to clarify combat: the original Elric! rules (which Magic World is directly derived from and which were one of the major sources for the BGB) contained some typos and poor wording, which we as playtesters didn't do the best job of getting resolved in the BGB, so I was keen to make sure things were crystal clear in Magic World.

Put it this way - something approximating the Elric! rules was the baseline configuration I used from the BGB for BRP powered games until Magic World was released. Now, I just use Magic world as the baseline and add options from the BGB. My BRP powered 2300AD and Space: 1889 games use a version of Magic World, with adaptations for tech and firearms / futuristic weapons (if things had gone differently it would one day have been offered to Ben as a new Future World, but alas that's not an option anymore); I'm developing a Restoration era alt-history setting and a unique "pseudo-Rokugan" setting, both will use "Magic World with options" because its just a fantastic baseline configuration IMO.

Cheers,

Nick

Edited by NickMiddleton
  • Like 4