Legendary Abilities?

Tywyll

Ok, before I go and reinvent the wheel, has anyone converted Legendary Abilities from MRQ to BRP/RQ2-3?

I know a lot of people don't like them, and I don't like all of them, but some I do and I was thinking of trying to bring their mechanics inline with BRP for my own game. But, if someone's already done that, I'd love to see what they came up with.

Cheers!

Ok, before I go and reinvent the wheel, has anyone converted Legendary Abilities from MRQ to BRP/RQ2-3?

I know a lot of people don't like them, and I don't like all of them, but some I do and I was thinking of trying to bring their mechanics inline with BRP for my own game. But, if someone's already done that, I'd love to see what they came up with.

Cheers!

RQ has always had feats they were just called Chaos Features or Gifts and Geases

My Glorantha fan site: http://www.clan-tula.co.uk

In our (very) long running game characters eventually went on heroquests and gained strange abilities. One didn't take falling damage, he would just float down. Another could see in even absolute darkness. One could never fail a Str check (the 'immovable object' character I have mentioned before). And yet another gained lightning fast reflexes (Dex SR of 0).

There really was no mechanic needed for any of these. They went on epic quests and returned with heroic abilities. They weren't balanced, but why should they be? They were more powerful than anyone except other heroes.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)

30/420

RQ has always had feats they were just called Chaos Features or Gifts and Geases

I don't really think that Chaos Features = 'Feats'. Growing Wings :eek: is a bit different from learning to better disarm a foe.

Gifts and Geases works if you have the rules for them, which I don't believe I do. What book are they in? The other flaw with that is that they are tied to religions and if you are playing in a world where god's are not so omni-present, or in which a warrior can master greater abilities without divine influence (say a martial arts heavy campaign) that simply isn't going to work.

In our (very) long running game characters eventually went on heroquests and gained strange abilities. One didn't take falling damage, he would just float down. Another could see in even absolute darkness. One could never fail a Str check (the 'immovable object' character I have mentioned before). And yet another gained lightning fast reflexes (Dex SR of 0).

There really was no mechanic needed for any of these. They went on epic quests and returned with heroic abilities. They weren't balanced, but why should they be? They were more powerful than anyone except other heroes.

That's cool, and I'd have similar 'magical' abilities for great heroes to find/develop in my campaign, though since I don't run Glorantha, they would have nothing to do with 'Heroquesting'.

But what I'm looking for are abilities that transcend simply the mundane pass/fail that skills currently represent, and allow for a non-caster, non-religious characters to excel.

That's cool, and I'd have similar 'magical' abilities for great heroes to find/develop in my campaign, though since I don't run Glorantha, they would have nothing to do with 'Heroquesting'.

But what I'm looking for are abilities that transcend simply the mundane pass/fail that skills currently represent, and allow for a non-caster, non-religious characters to excel.

Ki abilities from LoN? They are tied to skills, but the mechanic can give that cool Irish Hero like ability to leap, run fast or forever, and still loose if the opponent is better.

SDLeary

Ki abilities from LoN? They are tied to skills, but the mechanic can give that cool Irish Hero like ability to leap, run fast or forever, and still loose if the opponent is better.

SDLeary

I'll be using those as well. :)

I don't really think that Chaos Features = 'Feats'. Growing Wings :eek: is a bit different from learning to better disarm a foe.

What I meant was that they are a skills mechanic that is not percentiles based. You also have others like the Lhankor Mhy Head Smashing Ritual and demon abilities in Stormbringer.

Gifts and Geases works if you have the rules for them, which I don't believe I do. What book are they in?

Cults of Prax off the top of my head.

My Glorantha fan site: http://www.clan-tula.co.uk

What I meant was that they are a skills mechanic that is not percentiles based. You also have others like the Lhankor Mhy Head Smashing Ritual and demon abilities in Stormbringer.

I'm not certain how those abilities will help create balanced PC style effects. Maybe I'm just being slow?

Cults of Prax off the top of my head.

Ah, not exactly the easiest thing to get one's hands on. And don't thos emechanics still tie back to the cults, with little connection between the person learning the ability and their actual skill?

Cheers!

You could always use the superpowers rules of the new BRP book to

build some legendary abilities.