Spiral is Officially Weird

Sean_RDP

So as I get to editing and tweaking the Spiral Magic section I realized the name was too arbitrary for no good reason. Spiral Magic spells are called weirds and so there is no reason not to call it Weird Magic. I will be re-writing some of the fluff and words and maybe even the mechanics of Weird Magic. It is still the most common magic and still deals with spiral tattoos that involve the magic. I feel pretty good with this change.

• Like 1

Its 2300hrs, do you know where your super dreadnoughts are?

http://reigndragonpressblog.blogspot.com/

Here is the basic write up as it will appear in the QSG. I think it fits into the idea that the world has reacted to the people and brings their Myths to life. In this case the world decided it needed to teach these new inhabitants how to use the inherent magic of Skaerune'. 

Weird Magic

Skill Synergy: Dance

The magic of the natural world. Gifted to men by Weirdlings, creatures that are part of an unseen world and exist just before dawn. This unseen world has no name, but it is thoughy to exist just before the Morninglands came to exist, so in some respects it is a time, not a place. A weirdling has no true form and can appear to be anything it wants.

After the men and women of the First City arrived, these strange beings began to teach them how to draw energy and form from this unseen world. The first Great Spirits were weirdlings in human form, teaching others how to use the spiral tattoos to capture a moment in time from the unseen places. This moment in time gave them power to mend wounds or sharpen blades or start fires. It is not known by any when the first Blood Tattoo was used, but the secret of these darker spirals allows even greater power to be captured and used to fuel the Weirds (or Spirals as some call them).

Unlike Sorcery which can be highly variable or Soul Magic which depends on Aura and training, Weird Magic is strictly linear. A weird of 1 MP will get 1 potency. A weird of 3 MP will get 3 POT and so on. As an example, Mend Wounds III costs 3 MP to cast and heals 3 Hit Points. The power of weirds can be increased, but no more than one instance of a given weird may appear on the same body. So one cannot have Mend Wounds I on one hand and Mend Wounds IV on the other. It is possible to use a weird at a lower potency however, by spending fewer MP.

All weirds / spirals cap at 4MP of POT. Bloodweirds and Bloodspirals cap at 8MP.

Soulbound (I - IV)

CON governs the maximum amount of Weird magic a character can have. At least normally. However, the Nature Gods (cults that use Weird magic instead of Soul Magic) teach OR have available a weird called Soulbound. Soulbound allows for some or all of a character's Aura (AUR) to be used to augment the character's CON.

Soulbound I = 25%, SB II = 50%, SB III = 75%, and SB IV = 100% of AUR, which is added to CON to allow for a greater amount of Weird magic points.

So a character with a CON of 13 can have 13 points of weirds. If someone casts Souldbound I on the character, he or she then adds 25% of their AUR to the total. In this case AUR is 12, so 25% would be 3. Add this to the CON score and this character can now have a total of 16 points of weird magic.