New to RuneQuest, what is it?

Mastakos

So I've been a fan of Glorantha for a few years now, and the games I've played (all one of them) have always used Heroquest. But since the next rulebook will be based on Runequest 2 I thought it would be a good idea to buy the Runequest 2 book. Thing is, Heroquest also my first ever "real" RPG I've ever played, so I am a bit confused by just how much more complex Runequest is than Heroquest. Can anyone give me an explanation as to what sort of rule system Runequest uses?

Although the terms didn't originate with them, RuneQuest and HeroQuest are often held up as definitive examples of the difference between 'simulationist' and 'narrativist' roleplaying.

I'm not sure I agree with these categories, but in terms of their respective approaches RuneQuest has an attempt to simulate real combat (in particular) in it's rules, whereas HeroQuest is mainly interested in outcomes as they pertain to the overarching story. RuneQuest has details like parrying, impales and hit locations, while HeroQuest generally ignores these things and simply takes degrees of success to determine what happens in a more abstract way. 

When RuneQuest was written back in the late 70s, a lot of the ideas that went into HeroQuest's design weren't thought of yet, but it was a hugely innovative game in it's time too (being one of the first games to introduce skills, for example). The distinction between 'simulationist' and 'narrativist' are probably not as distinct in later editions, however. 

This is not true for combat only but for all the mechanics, would it be magic, skills or health. A big difference is that all characters are basically defined with the same scaled characteristics, not only with abilities: all have a Size, Constitution, Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence, Power and Charisma. Then come the skills. It gives a more real atmosphere to the game, where hits hurt. It is reputedly less heroic in style, but brings may be more tension and danger feeling than HQ. I enjoy very much both.

RQ2 was my very first game, its learning worked very well because the rules are very logical, well structured and their principles easy to understand (may be even easier than HQ's). If you like, grab the Basic RPS first in its free version ("Quick Start") to prepare your conversion and understand the principles : this is how I learnt (the BRPS was included into the box I bought). After a one or two sessions, you'll anyway want to use the full RQ rules. If you are patient, you may want to wait until the release of the new RQ version: the conversion from HQ to RQ shall be much easier, according to Chaosium's annoucements..

Wind on the Steppes, role playing among the steppe Nomads. The  running campaign and the blog