Ep 1 - Rev. Earl Wilson & the age of his bride?

On page 30 of Installment 1, the following snippet appears:

his wife Martha, who at twenty-three is twenty years his junior, and their eight-year old son Jacob

Have I missed something?  Given that Martha is currently 23-years old and has an 8-year old son implies the 'good' Reverend impregnated the young woman at the age of 15-years old! I'm not prudish on the implications of a 15-year old being married and having a child, however, I wonder if there is room to role play the fact that her husband was 35-years her senior when she was impregnated.  Does anyone know the prevailing social opinion back in the mid-to-late 1920s of children being wed to adults?  Thanks!

29 minutes ago, rom90125 said:

Given that Martha is currently 23-years old and has an 8-year old son implies the 'good' Reverend impregnated the young woman at the age of 15-years old

Correct. Thank you for pointing that out. I believe that was more acceptable (and legal) back then... but it was still likely added as a realization of ickyness for the players.

29 minutes ago, rom90125 said:

her husband was 35-years her senior when she was impregnated. 

I'd reckon he was still 23 years her senior then also (making him 38 years old)

Edited by mvincent

My players picked that up.  There was definitely an ick factor.  They tried to figure out if they wanted to rescue her, but from their conversation with her, it looked like she was content enough.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0005061.html

Yes, back then, it was more acceptable, but still a bit young, the median age for women to be married was about 21.  I think some states let you get married at 12 (puberty).

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, morganhua said:

My players picked that up.  There was definitely an ick factor.  They tried to figure out if they wanted to rescue her, but from their conversation with her, it looked like she was content enough.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0005061.html

Yes, back then, it was more acceptable, but still a bit young, the median age for women to be married was about 21.  I think some states let you get married at 12 (puberty).

Fantastically useful link and website!  Thanks for sharing this with us!

On 17.05.2016 at 10:14 PM, rom90125 said:

On page 30 of Installment 1, the following snippet appears:

Have I missed something?  Given that Martha is currently 23-years old and has an 8-year old son implies the 'good' Reverend impregnated the young woman at the age of 15-years old! I'm not prudish on the implications of a 15-year old being married and having a child, however, I wonder if there is room to role play the fact that her husband was 35-years her senior when she was impregnated.  Does anyone know the prevailing social opinion back in the mid-to-late 1920s of children being wed to adults?  Thanks!

I have another shocker for you :) He gave birth when she was 15, so she got pregnant at about 14 yrs old.

• 1 month later...