semi heroquesting/mystic trance tests

GamingGlen

I started a new campaign with long-time D&D players new to RQ.  For adult initiation into an Orlanthi cult I had their characters enter a trance-like state to make choices in a vision quest.  I related the answer choices to runes and hoped it might give their characters a sense as to what cult to join.  I'm curious as to what runes you might associate with each answer.

Scene 1: You are walking up a wooded hill when a small boulder rolls by.  Do you:

a) give chase and jump over it                         

b ) watch it roll away                                          

c) follow it to see where it ends up                   

d) run ahead of it and warn others                  

e) go uphill to see where it came from            

f) ignore it and continue on your way            

g) run alongside and talk to it                           

h) stop it in some manner           

(P.S. yeah, sort of borrowed this from a KoDP heroquest that uses a wheel instead of a boulder and have more choices.)                                       

Scene 2: You are hungry but recently caught a small fish.  Before you eat it you hear a noise and spot a bear eating berries on a bush.  All those berries will feed you more than the fish.  Do you:

a) leave the fish so its smell will attract the bear away from the berries                  

b ) kill the bear and eat fish and berries so you will be completely fed                     

c) trade the fish to the bear so you can eat the berries                                                

d) share the fish and berries with the bear                                                                     

e) leave the fish and berries for the bear and go search for other food                    

f) eat the fish and leave the bear and berries alone   

(P.S. someone wanted an answer of kill the bear and eat it)

Edited by GamingGlen
stupid emojis (again)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, GamingGlen said:

Scene 1: You are walking up a wooded hill when a small boulder rolls by.  Do you:

b ) watch it roll away                                          

I'd probably align it something like:

a - Movement; b - Death/Separation; c - Fate; d - Life; e - Truth; f - Illusion; g - Harmony; h - Stasis

You could also have: i) follow it and knock it aside (or similar); or knock another rock over and see what happens - Disorder.

4 hours ago, GamingGlen said:

Scene 2: You are hungry but recently caught a small fish.  Before you eat it you hear a noise and spot a bear eating berries on a bush.  All those berries will feed you more than the fish.  Do you:

I'd do something like:

a - Moon/Illusion; b - Storm/Death; c - Communication/Harmony; d - Earth/Harmony; e - Harmony?; Stasis.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, GamingGlen said:

I started a new campaign with long-time D&D players new to RQ.  For adult initiation into an Orlanthi cult I had their characters enter a trance-like state to make choices in a vision quest.  I related the answer choices to runes and hoped it might give their characters a sense as to what cult to join.  I'm curious as to what runes you might associate with each answer.

b ) watch it roll away                                          

(P.S. yeah, sort of borrowed this from a KoDP heroquest that uses a wheel instead of a boulder and have more choices.)                                       

(P.S. someone wanted an answer of kill the bear and eat it)

a ) Mobility. b ) stasis. c )  truth. d ) Issaries. e ) illusion. f ) harmony. g ) disorder. h ) death

a ) moon. b ) darkness. c ) storm. d ) earth. e ) sky. f ) water.

...but what in the Wonderhome do I know?

Interesting.  But I figured other people would have different views.

I choose the runes based on the Orlanthi pantheon if at all possible.  Stasis was one that was hard to justify in that regard.

Here's what I went with:

scene 1: a ) mobility, b ) harmony, c ) law, d ) illusion, e ) truth, f ) fate, g ) harmony, h ) stasis

scene 2 (the second has less importance): a ) illusion, mobility, b ) death, mastery, c ) trade, magic, d ) harmony, infinity, e ) fertility, luck, f ) fate, law

I did have a scene 3 involving the elements, I went with a disaster in the making (air: tornado, fire: building on fire, water: giant wave, earth: rockslide) and they could pick one to avert plus a fifth option (supposedly Darkness) was to let things happen as they may (Fate).  Since 4 of the 5 picked the Fate option I surmise it was not a good test.

Edited by GamingGlen