Creature Challenge

MurfinMS

Hiya gang,

In an effort to get others posting *their* creatures (either Real World or homebrewed fantasy/sci-fi or whatever) I decided to post some *more* cresatures.

This time, its the ubiquitous donkey.

Best,

-Ken-

Donkey

The donkey, or ass is a member of the equine family, differing from the horse most notably with its large ears. Donkey ears are much longer in proportion to their size than a horse’s. The neck is straighter in the donkey than in the horse, and supports a large head. Its back is straighter than a horse’s due to the donkey’s lack of a true wither. The donkey’s coat is short and coarse, with a strip of dark hair

running down the length of its spine, and another across the shoulders. Donkeys have short, stiff, upright manes which stands erect. The donkey’s slender legs end in rounded hooves, and its tail is short and tufted. Donkeys lack a true forelock, though the mane sometimes grows long enough to be combed down between the ears toward the eyes.

The donkey’s most valuable qualities are sturdiness and endurance. Donkeys are renowned for their ability to perform difficult work under unfavorable conditions and exist with little care and poor food. During the dry summer, when the limited rain brings out grasses and wildflowers, donkey herds gorge themselves; gaining almost half their body weight. This serves them well during both winter and breeding season. Donkeys eat almost anything, but grasses and scrubby bushes seem to feature highly in their diet.

Donkeys are more surefooted when carrying heavy loads over rough terrain than are horses.

Donkeys are good swimmers, and frequently wallow in water if they find a body of it. Donkeys are also highly resistant to disease.

Donkeys range from .87-2.6m in length, stand .61-1.8m at the shoulders, and can reach weights in excess of 600kg.

Herds are lead by an elderly male or female, and normally made up of less than 50 individuals., but can occasionally exceed 200. Sentries are posted during grazing, and they rely on their speed to evade predators. During breeding season herds break into family groups, and the males compete to form harems, which they guard. Females usually have a single foal in isolation before rejoining the larger female and young herds.

Donkeys inhabit open plains, steppes, grasslands, meadows, valleys and open forests to altitudes of 5,200m, and can easily scramble up almost vertical rock slopes.

Donkeys originate in North Africa, but thanks to trade, have spread across the world, and may now be found throughout Africa, the Mediterranean , Asia, the Indian subcontinent and the Middle East.

SMALL DONKEY

Small donkeys range from .87-1.23m in length, stand .61-.86m at the shoulders, and can reach weights in excess of 200kg. A small donkey can carry 50kg of baggage.

Small Donkey

Characteristics Average

STR 2D6+12 19 Move 10

CON 3D6 10-11 Hit Points 15

SIZ 2D6+12 19 Fatigue 30

INT 4 4

POW 3D6 10-11

DEX 2D6+6 13

Hit Location Melee (D20) Missile (D20) Points

RH Leg 01-02 01-02 2/ 4

LH Leg 03-04 03-04 2/ 4

Hind Q 05-07 05-09 2/ 6

Fore Q 08-10 10-14 2/ 6

RF Leg 11-13 15-16 2/ 4

LF Leg 14-16 17-18 2/ 4

Head 17-20 19-20 2/ 5

Weapon SR Attack% Damage

Bite 7 25+2 1D8

Kick 7 40+2 1D6+1D6

Rear & Plunge 7 40+2 2D6+1D6

Trample 7 75 2D6 downed foe.

Notes: A donkey may attack once in a melee.

Skills: Dodge 45-1, Climb 60-1, Jump 50-1, Swim 60-1, Listen 30-4, Scent 60-4, Hide 25-7, Sneak 30-7.

Armor: 2-points of hide and muscle.

ORDINARY DONKEY

Ordinary donkeys range from 1.3-2m in length, stand

.91-1.42m at the shoulders, and can reach weights in excess of 400kg. An ordinary donkey can carry 100kg of baggage.

Ordinary Donkey

Characteristics Average

STR 2D4+24 29 Move 11

CON 3D6 10-11 Hit Points 20

SIZ 2D4+24 29 Fatigue 40

INT 5 5

POW 3D6 10-11

DEX 2D6+6 13

Notes: The creature’s large size gives foes +4% to their chances to hit.

RH Leg 01-02 01-02 2/ 5

LH Leg 03-04 03-04 2/ 5

Hind Q 05-07 05-09 2/ 8

Fore Q 08-10 10-14 2/ 8

RF Leg 11-13 15-16 2/ 5

LF Leg 14-16 17-18 2/ 5

Head 17-20 19-20 2/ 7

Weapon SR Attack% Damage

Bite 6 25+7 1D8

Kick 6 40+7 1D6+3D6

Rear & Plunge 6 40+4 2D6+3D6

Trample 6 75 6D6 to downed

foe.

Skills: Dodge 45-6, Climb 60-6, Jump 50-6, Swim 60-6, Listen 30-4, Scent 60-4, Hide 25-17, Sneak 30-17.

Armor: 2-point of hide and muscle.

MAMMOTH DONKEYS

Mammoth donkeys are very large, with a long head carried on a strong neck and rounded haunches. Its long ears are so large that some are carried horizontal. Its limbs are heavy, with large joints, and its large feet are covered with the same thick fur as ther rest of its body. Mammoths range from 2-2.6m in length, stand 1.43-1.8m at the shoulders, and can reach weights in excess of 650kg. A mammoth donkey can carry 150kg of baggage.

Mammoth Donkey

Characteristics Average

STR 2D4+30 35 Move 9

CON 2D6+6 13 Hit Points 24

SIZ 2D4+30 35 Fatigue 48

INT 4 4

POW 3D6 10-11

DEX 2D6+6 13

Notes: The creature’s large size gives foes +7% to their chances to hit.

RH Leg 01-02 01-02 3/ 6

LH Leg 03-04 03-04 3/ 6

Hind Q 05-07 05-09 3/ 10

Fore Q 08-10 10-14 3/ 10

RF Leg 11-13 15-16 3/ 6

LF Leg 14-16 17-18 3/ 6

Head 17-20 19-20 3/ 8

Weapon SR Attack% Damage

Bite 6 25+7 1D8

Kick 6 40+7 1D6+3D6

Rear & Plunge 6 40+7 2D6+3D6

Trample 6 75 6D6 to downed

foe.

Skills: Dodge 45-12, Climb 60-12, Jump 50-12, Swim 60-12, Listen 30-3, Scent 60-3, Hide 25-23, Sneak 30-23.

Armor: 3-point of hide and muscle covered in long, thick fur.

Woo-hoo - a donkey! Now we can average it's stats with a horse's and finally get a Mule!

(Or even many types of mule, depending on the breed of horse involved... Another chapter for the Horses & Ponies RPG! ;))

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

Very nice...My creature descriptions seem lame and...pedestrian by comparison. Are you a biologist?

One note for evil GM's...add donkey as a creature to be "reincarnated" as...for really evil PC's...there is no other creature as pitiable or treated as badly worldwide as the poor donkey.

I have personally witnessed 2 donkeys commit suicide ;-(

-STS

*Laughs* Evil Memories from RQII.. first campaign I played in had a Donkey.. It became infamous;As "Morbidity, the Dwarven Death Donkey" through a series of improbable rolls, it killed more monsters than many of the player characters lol!

now.

:focus:

Grey

At Play in the Fields of the Fnord

Very nice...My creature descriptions seem lame and...pedestrian by comparison. Are you a biologist?

Hi,

Thanks.

No, I am *not* a biologist, I'm a framer by trade ( a person who frames art).

Most of the creatures in my bestiary---at least the ones I'm curious about at any rate---get this sort of write-up. There are exceptions, however, like "Cattle", who get as superficial a treatment as they received in their original RQ3 write-up simply because I couldn't give two hoots about the biology of cattle.

The information is generally cut-n-pasted from a variety sources into a document, which I then cobble together into a fairly informative introduction to the creature.

And there ya have it! :)

Best,

-Ken-

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lela: "Uh, Professor, are we even allowed in the Forbidden Zone?"

Professor: "Why of course. Its just a name, like "The Death Zone' or 'The Zone of No Return'.

All the zones have names like that in 'The Galaxy of Terror'."

---Futurama

Btw,

The small donkey is equivalent to the miniature donkey native to Greece or Sardinia or someplace, IIRC.

The average or oridinary donkey (whatever I called it---the 2nd example) is a standard, unremarkable ass of some sort.

The mammoth donkey is this huge, thickly-furred French donkey whose real name I forget,

Hope thast helps :)

Best,

-Ken-

Hi gang,

In an effort to *goad* you lay-abouts into posting some monsters, I'll try another :)

-Ken-

Hadrosaurus

Hadrosaurus are large, herbivorous dinosaurs; its heavy body reaching 6-16m in length; with a heavy, muscular tail measuring up to almost half the total body length, and standing from 3-9m tall at the highest point along its spine while on all fours. Hadrosaurus can reach weights in excess of 4,000 kg.

Hadrosaurus are quadrupeds with long, muscular hindlegs and shorter front legs supporting its bulky, somewhat boxy body. Hadrosaurus spends much of their time on all-fours feeding on tree leaves, fruit and seeds, but can rear up on their back legs to a height of ¾ the creature’s length, to reach food higher up in the trees. When threatened, hardosaurus will usually rear up on its back legs to run away.

Its nearly 1m long head, with its long, flattened, toothless beak, rests atop a long, flexible neck which allows hadrosaurus to gather low-growing plants from a wide area around it, without requiring the creature to move.

Hardosaurus is a herd animal that nests in the same location each breeding season.

The stats below can also be used to represent any of the various breeds of crested duckbill dinosaurs, including Saurolophus, Parasaurolophus and Corythosaurus.

Hadrosaurus

Characteristics Average

STR 4D6+24 38 Move 7

CON 3D6+12 22-23 Hit Points 37

SIZ 4D6+36 50 Fatigue 61

INT 3 3

POW 2D6+6 13

DEX 1D6+6 9-10

Notes: The creature’s large size gives foes +15% to their chances to hit.

Hit Location D20 Points

Tail 01-02 18/ 12

RH Leg 03-05 12/ 12

LH Leg 06-08 12/ 12

Hind Q 09-11 18/ 15

Fore Q 12-15 18/ 15

RF Leg 16 12/ 12

LF Leg 17 12/ 12

Head 18-20 18/ 12

Weapon SR Attack% Damage

Kick 6 40+3 1D8+4D6

Bite 6 25+3 1D6+4D6

Skills: Scan 40+2, Scent 45+2

Armor: 8-point pebbled hide.

I'm not a biologist but I am a Dad of three boys so the following is important to me.

The bestiary includes a 'Brontosaur' as any Dinosaur geek knows there was no such thing. Twas a mistake made (and corrected years ago) please relabel as Apatosaurus or Diplodocus for the second printing.

Al

Rule Zero: Don't be on fire

The bestiary includes a 'Brontosaur' as any Dinosaur geek knows there was no such thing...

Or move it from the "Natural Animals" section into "Fantasy Creatures", because there are great herds of the darned things on certain fantasy worlds... :)

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.