What is the logic underlying what kind of resistance roll to use for each power?

Pyronnic

I just got my BRP1 book early this week. I really like the core system, but want to develop additional powers for my game. In reading the various powers descriptions, I notice that sometimes the resistance roll is based on power points vs power points and other times on POW vs POW. What's the logic underlying when to use these different kinds of resistance rolls?

I think articulating the meta-rule for choosing which kind of resistance roll to use for a new power would help myself and others extend the BRP system with additional powers in a way that is consistent with the core rules.

Pyronnic

Hmm, seems to me an issue with Editing. I'm sure we'll hear from Jason on this.

BRP/derivatives have bases resistance rolls against magic on either:

A) Active POW of caster vs. Passive POW of defender or

B) Active Power Points of caster vs. Passive Power Points of defender

Neither A or B were ever used in the same setting, as far as I know, and the choice of which to use is entirely up to the GM.

Option B tends for a grittier game.

And don't forget Realism Rule # 1 "If you can do it in real life you should be able to do it in BRP". - Simon Phipp

I wish I could tell you that there was a universal rule that applied, but there wasn't. I did little playtest scenarios where I pitted two characters against one another using either method, and determined which made more sense to me.

The general rule of thumb for what resistance rolls were POW vs. POW or power points vs. power points was as follows:

- If the offensive or defensive value seemed to be intrinsic to the character, rather than situational and based on current state, previous power use, etc., I went with POW vs. POW. For example, no matter how much spellcasting he's done earlier that day, Merlin will never be hypnotized by Dracula.

- If the offensive or defensive seemed to make more sense being based off a situational condition, such as previous power use, etc. then I went with power points vs. power points. For example, Elric may be overcome by one of Theleb K'aarna's spells that opposes power points if the albino sorcerer has just spent most of them on a big summoning.

In every case my preferred choice was to make things more playable.

In every case my preferred choice was to make things more playable.

It sounds like each individual case has been decided sensibly. But it seems to me that having two methods is itself less playable than one, because you have to look up which it is each time, just to be sure.

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

It sounds like each individual case has been decided sensibly. But it seems to me that having two methods is itself less playable than one, because you have to look up which it is each time, just to be sure.

I think Jason is saying something more along the lines of, "Trust your gut," not "Look something up."

And don't forget Realism Rule # 1 "If you can do it in real life you should be able to do it in BRP". - Simon Phipp

I think Jason is saying something more along the lines of, "Trust your gut," not "Look something up."

And now we know the principle, we can. But I just worry that player's "gut feel" will often be for whichever is most advantageous to them, leading to disputes, leading to looking things up anyway...

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

And now we know the principle, we can. But I just worry that player's "gut feel" will often be for whichever is most advantageous to them, leading to disputes, leading to looking things up anyway...

The gist of the advice I provided was for the GM in coming up with new powers, not letting players decide how those powers worked on a case-by-case basis.

The gist of the advice I provided was for the GM in coming up with new powers, not letting players decide how those powers worked on a case-by-case basis.

Granted, and thanks for it. It makes perfect sense. I just mean, when we're trying to remember which (POW/PP) applies to an existing power.

Couldn't you just put a 'P' or a 'PP' next to the power on the character sheet to delineate which measurement to use?

Good idea. Cheers!

Alternatively, just remember that Magic spells are all POW v POW, but Sorcery spells are all PP v PP (except "Curse of Sorcery" and "Summon Demon"). Hmmm...