Pulp Cthulhu: Alcohol query...

Grey

I have a quick question relating to the optional rules regarding alcohol (pp72/73):

I don't know if it's just my misreading but I feel there is some missing text or similar.  The rule says that an inebriated character is temporarily immune to San loss, then states if a roll is below a certain amount, it is ignored, but if higher the result is recorded but loss applied after the alcohol effects wear off; the next section details the use of an INT roll to see if full or partial SAN loss occurs (upon sobering up).  From the order of the rules it appears that a drunk character could "ignore" SAN losses up to a certain point, but if higher SAN loss is rolled and recorded until sobering up, then INT checked for full/ partial SAN loss.  However, the example next to this shows SAN loss below the threshold being checked for full/ partial loss on sobering up.

What I am wondering is what then is supposed to occur if inebriated characters loose above the SAN threshold:

1 - does high SAN loss occur as normal (with only SAN below the threshold ignored temporarily)

2 - is the high SAN loss recorded, but only applied when sober (with any SAN loss under the threshold being rolled for to see if only partial effects occur)

3 - the example is in error and SAN below the threshold level is ignored, and if higher SAN loss is recorded, but not applied until sober (INT roll is made after sobering up to see if all or part is lost)

(I hope this makes sense!)

Thanks for any help (as I have an upcoming "Bon Vivant dilettante" character that is potentially going to need these rules!)

D.

• Like 1

Hi

Sorry Grey - you are correct, the example is incorrect (its needs a little adjustment to bring it inline): the example should read:

For example: Barfly Dan has consumed about half a bottle of whiskey. The Keeper equates this to 10 shots and consults the table, noting that Dan will be negatively impaired for 4 hours and is temporarily immune to Sanity losses below 5 points. Returning to his seafront lodgings, Dan sees a deep one and fails a Sanity roll. The Keeper rolls 6 Sanity loss. As Dan is currently immune, the Keeper notes down the loss. 

Next morning, Dan awakes with an awful hangover. The Keeper asks Dan’s player to make an INT roll—a failure: Dan hazily remembers seeing a monstrous thing but while he can’t recall all of the details, he feels a shiver of absolute dread nevertheless and suffers the immediate loss of 3 Sanity points.

• Like 1