What have folks been having fun with when modernizing ATtH?

After a successful run of ATtH at my FLGS, I decided to run it for my friends as a home game, but in a modern setting.

Some things are easy to adapt to, after all, it's not a far stretch for there to be no cell reception in a very rural town in New England, let alone there even being any reasonable internet connection (the town I grew up in has a population of less than 1000, there's cell reception in the very center of town only... and only since a tornado knocked a bunch of stuff down a few years ago, and your internet options are dial-up or gambling with satellite).

My players are attempting to spy on the Mi-Go agents in the library with cheap purchased off Amazon electronic bugs and similar technology, which is makes me have to keep on my feet, but also means I get to have them overhear a lot of random crap because it's a public space.

Other things I get to have fun with, like when dropping hints about the Mi-Go agent from before the Revolutionary War I mention that he REALLY hates Hamilton.  Like seems mortally offended by the musical, and takes special offense to the portrayal of King George.  And well... then this happened and I had to share.

17492358_1814672405225028_545212648384863961_o.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Modern-day Mythos has always been an interesting approach.  One of core concepts behind the mythos, as Lovecraft said, was mankind's inability to put it all together.  Which is why the protagonists of his stories tend to be educated, erudite researchers who, by unusual circumstances, find themselves in the position to suddenly correlate all these obscure pieces of the puzzle that previously would not have had any obvious relation to each other.

And now here we have the Internet, with its mandate to gather obscure bits of information from across the globe with but a Google search.  And as more ancient texts are slowly scanned and added into the ocean of knowledge that is the web, more and more once-hidden patterns begin to slot together once again...

Plots practically write themselves. :D

On 8/4/2017 at 1:16 PM, SteveMND said:

Modern-day Mythos has always been an interesting approach.  One of core concepts behind the mythos, as Lovecraft said, was mankind's inability to put it all together.  Which is why the protagonists of his stories tend to be educated, erudite researchers who, by unusual circumstances, find themselves in the position to suddenly correlate all these obscure pieces of the puzzle that previously would not have had any obvious relation to each other.

And now here we have the Internet, with its mandate to gather obscure bits of information from across the globe with but a Google search.  And as more ancient texts are slowly scanned and added into the ocean of knowledge that is the web, more and more once-hidden patterns begin to slot together once again...

Plots practically write themselves. :D

And, of course, it just gets dismissed as a "conspiracy theory" (and/or that au courant cognate, "Fake News").

C'es ne pas un .sig