One more plea for help then I'm good. [Hopefully]

skarl

My anthropomorphic animal game stuck to OpenQuest a little easier, so I ran with that. However my Mythras game is revamping and I've already added patrons similar to DCC [with help from people here, and I am very appreciative of that] and converted the Changeling from Symbaroum as a playable race and I'm using the trio of concepts common in many games, Warrior/Wizard/Rogue-Expert with a few of the class concepts from Symbaroum and some careers from Zweihander/WFRP1 and 2. Both have basic and advanced options for occupations. 

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to implement Advanced Careers after play? Does requiring a certain percentage in the carrier's core skills make sense for advanced options or is there a better way to meld basic into advanced careers? For my game basic character creation is an option, as well as several career packages like Bailiff, Bounty Hunter, Hedgemage, Smuggler, etc.

As before, any suggestions, help, cautionary tales, etc are appreciated.

But, when at the last the arm of Skarl shall cease to beat his drum, silence shall startle Pegana like thunder in a cave, and MANA-YOOD-SUSHAI shall cease to rest......Lord Dunsany

Responsible for: https://ancientvaults.wordpress.com/

I'm doing a similar thing right now, but I'm not sure how to implement it as we're still playing something else for a few more sessions. 

My initial thought was to do it just based on a few skill values like old RQ or WFRP did...but I've moved conceptually to using the skill upgrade economy already cooked into Mythras as a tool.

What I mean by this is each "Advanced Option" is rated on a scale from 1 to 3. Some have requisite tracks, for instance, there is a career track that can manipulate dreams. Before you get to the cool stuff of manipulation and influence of dreams, you have to take the initial Dreamer option that really only allows you to lucid dream and enter into the dream state as a conscious participant. The only benefits at tier one are that you retain all memory of interactions in the dream state and get two resistance rolls vs. any negative effects in the dream world. At tier two, you can actively shift events in your own stream of experience. At tier three, you gain the ability to alter others' experiences. 

Each advanced option has a list of skills, but I figured in most cases people are only going to load up on one or two of them at most. So the idea that they could spend skill improvement points to gain tiers without having some static "Skill X, Y, Z @ >50%" goal post seemed to be the best option. The thing I hated the most about old Runequest and Warhammer were spending time developing skills you had no interest in just to meet the requirements of a career/cult in which you were actually interested.

The advanced tiers each cost their rating +3 in skill improvement rolls. using the yet to be named Dreamer career, tier one costs 4 skill improvement rolls, tier two requires you already bought one and an additional 5, tier three requires tier two + 6 etc. So, it's expensive! To get to tier three in the dreamer class, it costs a baseline 15 skill improvement roll expenditure. On one hand, it seems like trading one thing for another, but I think that 15 skill rolls is a lot cheaper in the long run than XYZ@>50. It is an attempt to still make it a journey to attain the cool stuff, but the timescale will be a lot shorter.

This is all hypothetical at this point. We have outlined it and agreed that it seems OK, but haven't played it yet.

121/420

I appreciate the replies so far. I do have Classic Fantasy, I'm just not sure that the approach works, but it might, so I'll look deeper into it. I'm just not sure how I can pull off a game where one character can change or advance careers while another sticks with one the entire time.

Possibly the way to go is to backwards engineer the player's concept to figure out the turning points in the careers. 

But, when at the last the arm of Skarl shall cease to beat his drum, silence shall startle Pegana like thunder in a cave, and MANA-YOOD-SUSHAI shall cease to rest......Lord Dunsany

Responsible for: https://ancientvaults.wordpress.com/